News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 Dial Disassembly ??

Started by Larry, August 10, 2015, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've found my first WE 202 that I want to restore.  The mounting is in terrible shape and will need to be stripped and repainted.  I made a drawing of the wiring before I started taking the unit apart.  I've got the phone apart now and I want to disassemble the dial so I can clean the dial and paint the finger wheel.

What would be the procedure for taking apart the dial and reassembly?  I did a search of the forum for this but didn't find anything specific to the 202.  I don't want to take the dial apart unless I have an understanding of how it goes back together. 

Larry

unbeldi

Someone some time ago demonstrated 5H dial disassembly or assembly.

You need to determine the kind of dial you have.  A picture would help.
A D1/202 would have had a No. 4H originally, but may have been upgraded to a 5H dial, they look very similar actually to new eyes.  the dial should be marked on the rear with red orange ink.

Depending on its state, the dial may not need complete disassembly.  After removing the largest parts, finger wheel, number plate, dust barrier (paper), you could simply drop it into an ultrasonic cleaner.  I have done this many times with good success.  Or many times using a electronic parts spray can cleaner, such as sold by Radio Shack, may work well.

NorthernElectric

There is a link in this post to a pictorial on reassembling a 5H dial.  If you start at the end and work backwards, you can get a pretty good idea how to disassemble it.  I did, before I took apart my 1st 5H.
Cliff

Larry

This dial is marked 5H, with a 1 50 which I believe means mfg. first quarter 1950. 

I'll take a look at the link that NorthernElectric posted. 

Larry

Larry

I took a look at the link for reassembly of a 5H dial.  When I saw all those parts I decided a trip to Radio Shack was in order.  Maybe I'll get brave on the next dial.

Larry