News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Starlite Dial Illumination help

Started by Volvoguy, March 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

Hey everyone, first post here, but have been creeping through the posts for a while.

I came across this thread http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4710.15
and decided to try to get my starlite to light up. It has the luminous dial, and from what I can understand from that post and others is that straight 120V will light it up, but they put current limiting resistors in the plug so you don't kill yourself. Fair enough. I figure I can rig this all up myself, but am trying to figure out the best way to run the power into the phone. Am I right when I think I read that there was a 5 conductor line to accomplish this? How was it wired at the wall? I see the picture of the original end in that other post, but still can't quite picture how it would work. Does anyone have a picture of one in functional form?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

AE_Collector

Hello Volvoguy from Vancouver. Terry from Coquitlam here.

This topic has a bit more Starlite info though I don't know if there are specifically any pictures of the original power set up for the dials.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3489.0

And this topic has some more info in it:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5001.0

There have been several versions of Starlite's from AE, three at least. The first generation had an aluminum base where as all other generations had plastic bases. The first generation had a built in AC power cord in addition to the hardwired phone cord with three conductors.

The second generation had plastic base and changed from a seperate AC cord to a 5 conductor phone cord that used the forth and fifth conductors (black and blue) to feed AC into the phone from the current limiting plug which would have been wired to the set block using lamp cord. The phone cable also went to the set block and the spade tip five conductor telephone (set) cord attached to the set block.

Can you post pictures of your Starlite or at least identify cord types and base material. There were dials without the illumination components as well but you sound convinced that yours has it. Two additional black leads inside that go from the edge of the dial to two extra screw terminals on the plastic bases.

While you didn't hear it from me, technically there is nothing OTHER THAN SAFETY preventing you from connecting straight AC to the two black leads of the dial to illuminate it. In other words, the resistors aren't needed to make it work or prevent it from burning out etc. Some of those dials eventually quit illuminating over time.

I can find you a proper plug here though.

Terry

stub

Volvoguy,
               "there is nothing OTHER THAN SAFETY preventing you from connecting straight AC to the two black leads of the dial to illuminate it." If you touch the edges ( inside or outside) of the dial plate, with power on, will be like touching the wires !!!!!! Be careful.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

Looks like it is a second generation, plastic base. Any advice on how it was wired from the factory? The three screws on the edge have something to do with tying in the power, correct?  Looks like somebody has modified this one with a new cord, so the 5 conductor cord is long gone.  Any help you can give me is appreciated, and if you can help me find an original plug, that would be great!

Stub, well aware of the dangers of messing with it, but another warning is always appreciated!

Volvoguy

Apparently I posted the first couple upside down!

Here's a couple more of inside.

Volvoguy

stub

Volvoguy,
               Yes, on the off,dim, bright switch. I don't have this connecting block here in the house. I'll post pic of the insides tomorrow. Here's diagram.     Read Code 7         stub

left click on pics to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

The limiting resistors has 2 main functions.
1 limiting the current to protect the illuminated ring.
2 Limiting current to a level not dangerous to touch.

The disk or ring will get brighter light with higher voltage, or higher frequency.

You may find lo cost adapters from battery voltage to supply high frequency:  http://tinyurl.com/kk6h55j

I have made my own adapter for 230V for use in Norway.

dsk

AE_Collector

Quote from: Volvoguy on March 07, 2014, 12:33:58 AM
Any advice on how it was wired from the factory? The three screws on the edge have something to do with tying in the power, correct?  Looks like somebody has modified this one with a new cord, so the 5 conductor cord is long gone.

Yes the two AC connections are those screw terminals on the side. The closest two to the slide switch. You can see two spade lugs on the third screw, that is the common screw connecting the slide switch to one of the dial light wires.

Once the modular cords and jacks arrived on the scene many original cords disappeared. Your phone was used in Vancouver's TRinity exchange. Exchange is still behind the Kingsgate Mall on the corner of 10th and Prince Edward. The second location of a "Vancouver Exchange" opened in 1911 (obviously way before dial phones in BC). first was the Seymour Exchange at 555 Seymour Street.

You are going to need to visit the topics discussing restoring discoloured plastic as well. Either chemically or by sanding. All indications are that it is a Gardenia White phone discoloured to the usual Ivory looking condition.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=70.0

Terry

dsk

The resistor setup are important to make right.
This thread http://tinyurl.com/ndgmx99 shows my Starlite.
You may probably think putting all the resistance on the live side of the circuit would be safer, yes it would, until someone by accident switches neutral and live wires. 

dsk

AE_Collector

I give up...must be an iPad thing. I saved the three upside down pictures to my iPad where they were correctly oriented, deleted them from the post, added them back to the post, uploaded them and they are still upside down.

Terry

twocvbloke

You need a Samsung Galaxy Tab instead, they can take and upload pictures the right way up... ;D

Volvoguy

Got it to light up! Just temporarily put a lamp cord to terminals A and B, and all seems to work as it should. Seems fairly dim, but I assume it was meant as a faint glow to see it at night, rather than a bright visual spectacle?

stub

Volvoguy,
                Great!!!! I looked for my cord and connecting block, no luck yet.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

How would you rate the brightness on yours? Do you use it with the limiting resistors? In theory the resistors should also dim the dial, although it would be quite negligible.