News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Rotary has Faint Ring, Help Please

Started by debeaune, April 08, 2014, 05:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Have purchased a Stromberg Rotary Dial Phone, did not have a cord attached so unsure what terminals are tip/ring, please see photos and let me know if I have it right. I can dial out, receive calls but ring is faint and I have cranked it up and still, the ringer moves back and forth but not enough to ding the bells. Could I be on the wrong terminals?  Any ideas? Thanks

HarrySmith

Looks like a frequency ringer. If the clapper is moving it may be close enough to the right frequency. Try moving the weight on the clapper closer to the end.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

debeaune

Harry, spot on sir! Works like a charm now.  Thank you very much.

HarrySmith

Cool 8)
Glad it worked out for you!
BTW, welcome to the asylum :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Glad you got it working, that color on that phone sure is neat. Must be quite uncommon, if factory color?

Ben

debeaune

Seems factory as the inner shell is the same color, noticed the handset is ITT and the body is stromberg, that common?  Next project is an american electric monophone that won't ring.  Had one earlier like this where a capacitor was bad, hopefully same issue.  Thanks again for the help, great bunch of people here.

WesternElectricBen

Sounds like a frankenphone with all of the different company's composed into one.

Ben

paul-f

It was a standard color for both SC and ITT.  Refurbishers weren't shy about mixing the plastics from the two companies when preparing used sets to return to service.

Orange is scarce in Western Electric 500s.
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3831.msg50804#msg50804
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line