News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone seen this type of non-North American payphone before?

Started by ....., September 02, 2018, 07:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked a couple payphones up last week, one Millennium and this foreign 3 token pay phone and I'm looking for help in identifying this phone.  What brand/make and year/age if possable. I think the writing on the phone is Turkish.

There is only one of the keys that fits the bottom lock. The top lock number looks to be like the lock opens with a generic key like our top locks.  I wonder how hard would it be to find a top lock key?

The fellow I got it from said this about the phones:

Both of these phones came from the Ottawa BNR R&D labs and were used in the testing of the global line card in the mid 90s. Once the program was finished I kept the phones in my office as a souvenir of my time on the  project. The German phone was given to us by Deutche Telekom so that we could make sure that the phone was compatible with the switches they purchased from Nortel. The German phone is complete, but the Nortel phone is missing the cover to the coin box and the lock top side of the phone. Both phones worked properly when they were last used (about 22 years ago).

Key2871

Those are abloy locks, with numbers stamped on them, find a dealer for those locks, and you should be good to get a key.
I have never seen that phone before, but it looks rather cool.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on September 02, 2018, 07:51:29 PM
Those are abloy locks, with numbers stamped on them, find a dealer for those locks, and you should be good to get a key.

Not as easy as you make it out to be.

Doug Rose

Doug....another great find. You be on a roll my friend....other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 02, 2018, 08:17:19 PM
Doug....another great find. You be on a roll my friend....other Doug

Thanks Doug,

It seems to be that way lately. Things just fall into my lap. :)

CDN Doug

Did some searching on Google and found this picture. It is from Singapore Tel 1985.
I also found that Deutche Telekom owns a few Telephone companies with the Turkish Telephone Company and Singapore Tel in the mix . So it is likely a German Payphone as the fellow says.
I believe this could be a 1991 model judging by the stamp on the back and the BNR fellow working on that project in that time period.

tallrick

I have had some success picking Abloy locks with the special disc detainer pick  Otherwise the old reliable die grinder and tungsten carbide bits make short work of those locks Locks removed intact can be rekeyed if you have spare keys around Kind of frustrating to assemble though

Pourme

~

I ran across this yesterday. Maybe this method could be used to open our pay phones without destroying them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdJH2tBDfo
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Another update:

This is a Turkish Payphone and not a German one. The fellow I bought it from sent more information on it and fellow member Jeff Lamp also did some digging.

Sellers information:

Regarding the orange phone, I was told that we got it from Germany and it was used as part of the Glines program in the early 90s. But at that time Nortel had a joint venture in Turkey called Netas. Netas was tasked with the development of DMS100 switches for the international market. But the Netas software deployed on the DMS hardware only supported POTS features. So in the late 80s and early 90s Nortel started selling its own international version of DMS100 software (I worked on this project). We used the orange payphone as part of Nortel's international DMS program.

Like I said I was told we got it from Germany, but it is possible that we got it from our Joint Venture partner in Turkey (there were a lot of exchanges going on back then).

Jeff Lamb:

Jeff spotted the word "Teletas" on Google, which was either the Turkish Telephone company or a Turkish telephone manufacturer.
He incorporated that word in his queries, and went through everything and got a little closer. He finally queried "images of payphones used by TELETAS in Turkey", and that's when he said everything started to show up.

Jeff also found information on Abloy locks.

Abloy locks :  the company is very secretive with their product.    The isn't much printed about their locks, and even less of diagrams showing the locks in and exploded view.   The lock function on that payphone should be what's called a "cam lock".    The words "cam lock" don't refer to the way the actual lock itself operates, as Abloy are a disc lock, but it describes how the lock, locks whatever it's installed on.      It could be a lever that's made to hook a pin inside the payphone, or it could be a simple flat bar that swings into place and blocks something that prevents the housing from opening.    It may be another type, but cam lock is the most logical.

By the way, Abloy locks aren't "pickable", or at least I've never run into a locksmith who claims to have picked one.

I had also contacted Abloy and got no where with that. I was told there is no information available. 

The pictures are from a google search. Turkish Payphone and the tokens they use.

tallrick

Strange because I picked the Abloy on the cash box on my old Bellsouth phone On nthe AE based cocots if I want to save the upper housing lock I drill a hole where the arm is and knock it in The lower locks I almost always drill out with die grinder

Quote from: tallrick on September 05, 2018, 03:10:27 PM
Strange because I picked the Abloy on the cash box on my old Bellsouth phone On nthe AE based cocots if I want to save the upper housing lock I drill a hole where the arm is and knock it in The lower locks I almost always drill out with die grinder

Was the lock you picked this style? Abloy disc lock.

tallrick

tallrick

Got the phone opened today by fellow member Jeff Lamb.