"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Display

Started by Payphone installer, February 04, 2016, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Wow,
This thread makes me understand a little more about how you now so much about payphones. This knowhow makes you understand better than "all" of us the development of the payphone systems used by different groups of telco's.  At the same time, it looks like e.g. Europe did go their own ways with pretty different thinking, when the still followed North America on regular phones. 
Here i Europe pulsating polarity reversals, superimposed signal in 12 or 16 kHz or even in in mains frequency (50 Hz) was used.
As far as I have understood non of these has been used in USA/Canada.

dsk

Stan S

Quote from: Payphone installer on February 06, 2016, 07:22:57 PM
Can you spot what is special about this?

Figured I'd give someone else a chance at answering. Looks like that's not going to happen so I'll take a stab at it.
Those parts are from a Gray/Western 50A.  The bottom although hidden by very nice chrome plating is cast iron, as is the backboard.
If you look closely you can see what is left of the 'barber pole rivets' that held the brass Gray/ Western Electric plaque and the coin return escutcheon. The Gray/Western Electric plaque was mounted over the coin vault door.
Examples of the brass plaques can be seen on some of the complete 50As in the other pictures or the attachment to this post

CanadianGuy

I would've never guessed. But I know nothing about payphones. I can't imagine what your collection is worth! Great setup!

RotarDad

That is an impressive collection of payphones, and parts!!

50A - Also, on that cast vault/backboard, it looks like there are not any reinforced screw mount "bosses" on the back of the backboard.  Doesn't that mean that the backboard is a very early one?   My understanding is that the reinforcements were added over time to improve security.

169G - What is that?  The phone looks like a 181/191 externally.  I thought the 16X were all 2-piece coin collectors, so is that a very early production handset version prior to the 1940 181?
Paul

Oletrapper

Quote from: Payphone installer on February 04, 2016, 07:14:36 PM
All lighting is solar power, heat is propane and kerosene. I have spent a lot of time acquiring 148A backboards to mount the later telephones on. I also decided to mount strips of poplar attached to studs to support the weight and mange the amount of holes drilled.
Hi Jim, Top of the morning to you. The phone you guys got going for me is working like a champ. Your new building looks great. Your collection is awesome.

I noticed in your post above you stated that you were using kerosene for heat. A friendly word of advice if I may. Please don't use it. (1) They leave an oily/filmy residue on everything and is almost impossible to remove. (2) They are unpredictable when it comes to safety and fire.

I once had a tenant that used (2) for supplemental heat in a rental property. When they moved, I had to replace all the carpet, scrub the walls and ceilings, cabinets, etc. as best as possible and then paint with a product called Kilz before repainting everything.  Just my humble opinion. Thanks, OT 

Payphone installer

Yep I was. Only using the kro until they up sized my propane tank. We are now on 100% propane. I had concerns with fire also.

Kimball321

Wow that is quite a collection of payphones that you have payphone installer.  Am I correct that you have even more then you posted here?  Would be neat to see the rest of your collection.
I collect payphones :)

Payphone installer

Yes here is more I have been moving more from other locations

Payphone installer

added Strowgers

Payphone installer

Wall of Gray

Payphone installer

L brackets

Payphone installer

More single slots,plastic butttons black gromett handsets hard to find.

Payphone installer

Manual set 1E1

Payphone installer

Rare Gray Paystation crate that old two-pice payphones shipped in.

Payphone installer

Large sign