News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Display

Started by Payphone installer, February 04, 2016, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

Trivia question which color is the rarest?

RotarDad

Jim - On the color rarity of the AE 3-slots, I'll guess the gray....  I'm thinking not much different than beige so maybe not a lot of demand.  I really like the red one too.

I see a reference to Stan above that picture.  In the Ron Knappen Payphone book, it references that Stan S. has the entire set of colors - are these from his collection?
Paul

AE_Collector

But in most cases colours weren't chosen to fit in or match decor, most were just a default color for inside or outside so Beige was quite common. Thus gray could have been at least somewhat common. AE SAU's (Secretarial Answering Units) were Gray early on and then seemed to go to Beige.

So....colours like yellow, turquoise, pink, Light blue and possibly gray probably didn't show up very often. I'm going with Pink as the hardest to find. Well, unless your looking on eBay where Beige phones are quite often listed as being Pink!

Even once AE converted to building 120A and B Single Slot payphones they were available in black, chrome and Beige.

Terry

Stan S

Unquestionably the hardest colored Automatic Electric 3-slot to find was Gray.
Ivory was next. Pink wasn't that difficult. There were plenty in beauty parlors.

There was a picture floating around on the Internet for years of my colored 3-slot payphone collection that was entitled
'Every Color Except Gray'.

Stan S.

AE_Collector

Makes sense except for why Ivory would be so hard to find. Like AE 880 Speakerphones, they were primarily an office phone so not all colours were made. But why they made white, beige, black, green & turquoise but NO Ivorymade little sense to me. All those out there that look like ivory are really white. And I would have thought that red would have had some takers for boardrooms or exec offices but....didn't make one yet they made them in green and turquoise!

Terry

Sigmaz

Jim, your collection is mind blowing.
I would love to one day see it in person.

It's an amazing display built by an equally amazing talent.

Payphone installer

Many of the A/E are hard to get but Gray is the hardest. I have also found that W/E sets are hard  to get in colors or chrome once you get below the 200 series. Like 190's or 180's.

Sigmaz

Hah.. I had to fix an error due to auto complete.
It said your collection "isn't mind-blowing".

All better now.

MaximRecoil

I like this:

Did you build that or did a factory? It looks a lot like those old Western Electric wooden indoor phone booths, aside from the pyramid roof.

I would say factory as I have one the same style.

Mine is from the 1940's

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Duffy on September 06, 2018, 07:23:02 PM
I would say factory as I have one the same style.

Mine is from the 1940's

That's awesome. Do you know what company made it? Is the frame made of wood or metal, and what's the roof made out of?

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 06, 2018, 07:36:32 PM
That's awesome. Do you know what company made it? Is the frame made of wood or metal, and what's the roof made out of?

This should answer your question.

Key2871

We'll, you've been busy Jim, for many years.
I think you're going to need an addition.
And for fire, theft I'd go with a security and fire system.
I'd hate to see the same thing happen to you your set up, that happened to John la'rue. That would be tragic.
Nice, impressive collection and display.
KEN

Payphone installer

Tornado worries me the most. I have large German Shepherds. 8)

Key2871

Oh yea, your in that part of the country...
And those dogs make a good security system, cheaper too
KEN