News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful Kellogg Push to Talk Metal Red Bar

Started by Doug Rose, January 02, 2015, 02:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

So the handset has a 4 conductor cord, however the transmitter and reciever share one lead, (R).

One lead shorts to the BK when the button is pushed. Let me inspect it further.

KK

Doug Rose

Here is a picture of the base and the ptt switch, the white and the black wires next to the coil go to the push to talk. As much as I want this to ring, I cannot make myself swap out the original frequency ringer. I want this as authentic as possible. I have added a NOS Kellogg line cord as this came without the line cord...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

I wouldn't swap a frequency ringer either.
Among collectors, I would call it the act of a charlatan.
The sound of a 54Hz ringer is an interesting event in itself adding to the experience of a historic phone.

It is easier to find a proper ringing source than to find some of the rare phones people own.

Some test sets, such as the Sage 930A, provide frequency ringing signals.
It is also not hard to modify a Panasonic PBX to provide frequency ringing. See for example: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11948.msg127016#msg127016

unbeldi

This Masterphone has a no. 15 Kellogg dial, if I can make it out correctly.  I think the no. 15 dial was a copy of the no. 51 or 52 AE dial. This phone would therefore be dated after 1951 (#51).
Since this phone appears in great pristine condition, I would say the dial is the original dial and this would date the entire phone with the metal housing into the 1950s.

Could it be that the metal housings were the last Red Bar phones to be produced, before Kellogg switched to the K500 series in or about 1954?  Perhaps Bakelite as a material was now considered too outdated in the American market to make a favorable impression?

poplar1

Roger did mention metal housings in a July 27, 2014 post on the TCI listserv (emphasis added):

To convert the 1070 to common battery, the local battery induction coil 114-A has to be unplugged and removed and replaced with the plug-in 113-A common battery induction coil.  Then you can install a dial and it is ready to function as a dial phone.

I have one so converted.  I removed the magneto and plugged the crank hole by gluing on a circular disc, and added the dial.

The 1070 housing is metal rather than the normal Bakelite usually found with the common battery version of this telephone. (Some common battery sets were also made with normal-size housings for phone companies that insisted on metal housings.)

Roger
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

I just looked at the auction pictures of this phone and those show the bottom where the phone is marked D 1001 HC2 15D
This means it has a 60 Hz frequency ringer (HC2).   60 Hz ringers are very easy to ring, as all you need is an isolation transformer for use with utility power. The transformer would safely isolate the telephone from ground. An AC relay could be used to turn it on by the 20 Hz ringing on a phone line, or other ring-activated switches.  There are for example lamp switches available that turn any regular lamp on when the phone rings for people with hearing problems.

wds

These sure don't come up very often.  I can't tell if this one is bakelite or metal.  Either way it looks nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-rotary-telephone-/111627099917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd7e5f0d

Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on March 21, 2015, 02:09:28 PM
These sure don't come up very often.  I can't tell if this one is bakelite or metal.  Either way it looks nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-rotary-telephone-/111627099917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd7e5f0d

I think it is Bakelite.  But surely not easy to tell. I think the metal shell is thinner in the place that is shown from underneath, and would almost with certainty have some wear on the edges there, showing gray metal.

Dial is broken, at least in very funky condition.

Doug Rose

Dave....I think it is Bakelite, but I have been surprised before. Dial looks like it needs a little lubrication. They are cool phones.....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

wds

it almost looks like metal around the red bar, but I agree I think it's bakelite.  the price is a little rich for me - plus the $25 shipping!   someday I will have one, but I'll wait for a lower price.
Dave

Doug Rose

I always email a seller and ask if they will ship the phone medium priority and tell them how to pack it. Most will do it. This seller is new and probably has no idea about a medium priority box. I agree, I would not pay $25 shipping on principle alone....Doug
Kidphone