News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Testing a Bad Dial??

Started by Lewes2, November 08, 2014, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Assembling a 302 for a friend from parts purchased from various sources.  Finished the wiring process and test the phone before routing wires through restraints.  Nothing!  Do dial tone, no ring, etc.  But there is about 50 volts DC at the L1 and L2, on hook and about 7 volts off hook.

Go through checking wiring twice.  The hook switch stack had gotten away from me during clean up so I swap that out for another.  No change. 

So I swap out the 6D dial for another and everything works, well not the two wire ringer but I have others to test.

My question, is there a way to bench test the 6D dial before sending it off for repair?  Are there standard procedures? 

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

WesternElectricBen

Please upload a good photo, we can probably help.

Ben

Lewes2

Since I've replaced the dial, the phone works, except the ringer.  However, I suspect I have too many phones on the circuit and insufficient voltage to ring the ringer.  I'm going take several phones off the net and try it again. It's time for either the Pano 616 or the Viking ringer thing.  The Pano would involve rewiring my house punch down panel to run a line to each 616 jack.  This unit has its benefits but a lot of work.  The Viking on the other hand is simply one plug and play.

Below are photos - I have not tied down or mounted the wires through the restraints yet. 

Still interested to learn if a dial can be tested with a VOM?  It moves freely. 

Chuck

poplar1

Should have continuity between Y and BK, and between BB and W, when the dial is at rest.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.