News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow manufacture date on 500 shell.

Started by Greg G., February 05, 2017, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

When the manufacture date is marked in this way, is it indicative of anything in particular or different about the phone, other than just the date of manufacture?  In this case the numbers are  9 3 54 1 (Sept. 3, 1954).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

A yellow date stamp is what would be on a housing from 1954. It just says when the housing was made and not necessarily when the entire phone was made since parts can easily be replaced at any time. If it matches or is close to the base date, then that's good.

The color of the ink varied over the years. I did a lot of research once and found yellow was the earliest (on soft plastic 500 housings), followed by green about 1957. Some phones had yellow and green stamps when the housing and handset pieces were included. This was followed by red stamps (actual red and not vermilion, which is more orange) around 1959 and that was the last year for ink housing date stamps.

Here's the link to all the stamps and their dates and colors if anyone is interested.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10278.msg109200#msg109200

And as a side note, has anyone else noticed that sometimes the "insert Hyperlink" button produces text with the cursor sitting in the wrong place, before the last "url" and not in the middle between the brackets where it should be? It's like almost every other time it does that to me. I hope they fix that with the next software release.
Jonathan

unbeldi

Quote from: jsowers on February 05, 2017, 03:45:04 PM
Here's the link to all the stamps and their dates and colors if anyone is interested.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10278.msg109200#msg109200

And as a side note, has anyone else noticed that sometimes the "insert Hyperlink" button produces text with the cursor sitting in the wrong place, before the last "url" and not in the middle between the brackets where it should be? It's like almost every other time it does that to me. I hope they fix that with the next software release.

For use of a hyperlink as you did, you don't need the wiki syntax at all.  Simply past the URL into running text, such as this: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10278.msg109200#msg109200

The wiki tags are only useful for displaying a clickable text string, or an image, hiding the URL, such as  this way.

But in any case, I have never seen what you describe, if I understand it correctly. When inserting the URL tags the cursor is always positioned after the opening tag and before the closing tag, unless some text is selected first, in which case the text is placed between the opening and closing tags.