News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BSP for payphone coin dial units

Started by trainman, December 07, 2014, 02:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Is there a BSP that just covers all the types of WE payphone coin dial units (dial + hook switch)?

Thanks.  Tony

paul-f

Tony,

I can safely say that there is not a single BSP that covers all types of coin equipment.  BSPs were primarily distributed to give installers the basic info to identify, install and maintain specific sets, and are generally specific to a particular set or set type.

There is a whole division in the BSP numbering scheme for coin equipment -- Division 506.

Check out several issues of the division index 506-000-000 for topics of interest then look for individual BSPs of potential interest.

You can browse the BSPs in Division 506 that have been contributed to the TCI Library here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/most-popular/coin-sets-cb

General purpose component parts, such as dials and ringers, are covered in division 501.

Earlier sets are documented in the C-series BSPs.  For example:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/most-popular/c32-telephone-sets

Of course, products changed over time, so several issues of a particular BSP will be needed to find variations that were introduced as products matured.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

trainman

I wish there was a BSP on just the dials. So I could sort out all the variations and modifications on them through the years.

paul-f

I'd love to see that, too!

The hobby would benefit if you or someone would go through all the BSPs and produce a good summary document.  It could be a good group project.

Dials are in C34. of the earlier BSP numbering scheme and division 501 of the later numbering scheme.  There are, of course, dials in specification documents that pre-date BSPs as well.

To check out the degree of difficulty, look at one of the index documents for division 501:  501-000-000.  Note how many dial types are represented.  They start at section 501-162- in the index.  Now check out how many issues of the index BSP are in the Library with different dates.  There are many more that haven't been contributed yet.

Each dial BSP for a particular dial type has multiple issues -- revised as features and sub-models were added, changed and dropped from production. Dials were made from the teens into the 1990s.

Talk about job security!  ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line