News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My polished metal W/E 300 series

Started by guitar1580, January 04, 2011, 01:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Anyone else buff out a metal 300?  I've seen just a few over the years, and a few that had actually been chromed.  This one means alot to me because it is one of the first major phone projects I attemped, around 15 yrs ago.

It had been painted solid safety yellow - cord, handset, dial blank, everything!  Probably came from one of the many steel mills / railroads / or loading docks near the river around here. Thick paint, brushed on, many coats... probably oil based with lead.

It was ugly as sin, and after walking past it in an antique store, and grimacing, for nearly a year, I talked them down from $40 to $20, brought it home and went at it with paint stripper.  I had a parts 302 with a broken plastic housing, so I robbed it for a dial and some parts.

It took some time to strip, sand, and hand buff the housing with metal polish.  It's shown in the pics now with 15 yrs patina.  When I first did it, it shined like chrome.  I also sanded & polished a black finger wheel, added a chrome number ring (off of a WE payphone if I recall), and my all time favorite old number card.  Everything functions flawlessly.

I actually stripped the handset & cord with adequate success, but later added these better ones.  As I look at her now, and with football season winding down, this winter could be a good time to do a cord bake (something I've never done), and a repolish (a task I'll rate equal to polishing 2 mag wheels, or a Harley side case).  If you have done one, you know what I mean.

Did I read that these housings are zinc? Or maybe zinc coated?  Never knew for sure.

Please feel free to show your shiny phone pics. 

Josh P

HarrySmith

Pretty cool! I have seen chrome and gold plated but never bare polished metal before, very nice. I may have to attempt that with one of mine some day :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Tom B

That's going on the list of "want to have one" ;)
Tom

Craig T

Nicely done and getting better with time too!

guitar1580

Hey thanks alot guys.  Glad you like it.

Anyone know exactly when these metal ones came out?  Some time around 1937 I think, but not sure exatly when.  I have a black original one that I believe is very early.

Josh P

Doug Rose

I've been doing this for years with metal 302s and 202s that the paint is not the best. I strip them down to bare metal and use a wire brush on a drill with Brasso. If the metal is not corroded, these will shine up really nice. Two from recent ebay auctions. Nice job on yours, it is a beauty..Doug
Kidphone

guitar1580

Ahhh... I figured a few would turn up around here.  Thanks Doug ... those look super sweet.

Josh

K1WI

Nice job !!! Looks awsome all bright and shned up .
   I've got a penchant for the "shiney" ones myself.   The first H! ( or 302) I ever saw  polished was in the "custom cabinet shop" at the Bell System distribution center on Tuckahoe road in Yonkers, NY...so I assume atleast New York Tel sold them to subscribers that way .  Still have one 302 and a desk hanger from there that has some form of plating on it as they are is VERY shiney.   As ypu can see from pics I also like nickel candlesticks.

Andy    K1WI

K1WI

We can't forget the "Brass Section"          ;D

JorgeAmely

K1WI:

Very nice collection sir. Is the battery tester also antique?

Jorge

K1WI

Jorge.
  Thanks , the battery tester is from an early 1950s hardware store display it went along with a large tube tester.  Have two of them  , one Burgess and one ray-O-Vac , both are VERY accurate and more meaningful than an expensive new digital volt meter as they place a small load on the battery and better reflect the "usability" of a battery.
    Andy             K1WI