News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE “party line” or “push to talk 202 D8-A

Started by Vern P, February 05, 2020, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

This is my "push to talk" or "party line".  When I got this ($125) it was the body ONLY, Looking thur my other 202 and some trading, I was able to make this an all date matching phone.

When did WE change from cast alum. to die cast ? This may tell us. The D8-A is dated IV-35 and the next photo show a die cast D1 with 1-36.

The D8-A has an extra set of contacts,  I have had D-6 or D-8 with the extra contacts.

I learned of this type of 202, wale visiting another collector, so this show way it is so important to visit other collectors when I travel, the same goes for YOU.

I only know of 4 of these.
Vern

Vern P

More photos. Vern

Vern P

Finger wheel spinner on this phone.
Vern

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Vern P on February 05, 2020, 10:38:36 PM
This is my “push to talk” or “party line”.

Hi Vern,

A D-8 is a party line telephone with a hook latch. When you lift the handset, the hook switch connects the receiver only. This allows the caller to check that the line is not already in use. If the line is not in use, the caller moves the lever towards the centre of the phone and the hook switch releases completely enabling the transmitter and the dial.

Do the 4 you know of include mine?

Regards
Jack

rdelius

I might still have one of those levers i pulled off a 202 set.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

WOW! That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Jack, can you post pictures of yours?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vern P

No Jack, your is not one of them. I know there far "rare" but I have not heard of others.
Maybe more will show up now.

Vern

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 06, 2020, 07:04:42 AM
Jack, can you post pictures of yours?

A few quickies - I'm dealing with another work drama. I can't see how to intersperse images and text so text first, then images.

• Phone with handset on
  • Closeup of the hook latch
  • Handset lifted - partial hook switch release (bar not fully up)
  • Handset lifted - full hook switch release (bar fully up after moving lever)

The phone is pretty well used so it must have been a tense party line community.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it cost $27 from ebay. No one noticed it was "different".

Regards
Jack

Vern P

HowardPgh

It is interesting that the schematic shows a dial with a contact setup like an AE 24 dial.
Howard

Vern P

When I got this it was "body only", the back cover came from some other phone, just looked good, may not match the rest of the phone.
Vern