News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1177

Started by wds, May 11, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up this desk phone, in nice shape.  I'm trying to replace the handset cord with a nice cloth cord, but I can't figure out how to remove the transmitter.  I have three of these handsets, and can't get the transmitter out of any of them. I wonder if they screw in?  Any ideas?
Dave

rdelius

It unscrews . These sometime get stuck and have to be damaged to get them out

wds

I see the three indents in the side of the transmitter - is there a special tool to unscrew these?
Dave

Mr. Bones

Quote from: wds on May 11, 2013, 06:22:54 PM
I see the three indents in the side of the transmitter - is there a special tool to unscrew these?

Same-same here, when I looked at it this morning. (I spy, with my little eye...)wasn't certain, being on my first cup of coffee ;)

If, indeed, there is a special tool, looks like somebody didn't have it, judging by the teardrop shaped hole at the 2 o'clock position. Interestingly enough, looks like tightening, vs. loosening damage...

I congratulate you on your very nice, very interesting SC. I have a few 1543s, and 1243's...I just love the lines of the SC's!! 8) 8)

First time I have ever lain eyes upon this model. Sigh, now suppose I shall have to find one! ;) Drat the luck, eh? ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

The transmitters are often difficult to remove.  I made a simple tool by driving 6 nails in a small block of wood.  They're spaced to engage 6 of the holes closest to the rim.  Gentle pressure often loosens the transmitter, so it can be unscrewed.

The metal is very thin, so it's likely the holes will be somewhat deformed.  That's a reasonable risk to get at the terminals to replace a bad cord.

This model is often found with an older style handset as shown below.  Like the Bell System, SC phones were often upgraded while in service.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

I've been trying to get a handset like that one, but they don't come up very often.  I like your tool idea - I'll fabricate one tonight and see if it works.
Dave