News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Still More Old Junk I bought on eBay

Started by Sargeguy, June 06, 2011, 10:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

And the back . . .       after a few minutes of work.

Willytx

Quote from: gpo706 on June 13, 2011, 10:59:06 PM
WillyTX - you're the man dude!

Thanks!
I like doing things to old photos. I still use Adobe PhotoDeluxe after all these years. They never should have killed that program off.

Is this card a listing of public phones? Most seem to be street corners, a few name places like the City Poor Farm, the Odd Fellows Home and the Notre Dame Normal Institute.

paul-f

Quote from: Willytx on June 14, 2011, 01:08:31 AM
Is this card a listing of public phones? Most seem to be street corners, a few name places like the City Poor Farm, the Odd Fellows Home and the Notre Dame Normal Institute.

It could also be a listing of public callbox codes and locations (e.g. fire or police call boxes) or a list of locations for volunteer firefighters to meet to answer a call.

The town I grew up in had a loud horn that blasted codes to alert volunteer firefighters of the general location of a fire. They'd put out a series of short blasts for each digit with a short space between digits, then a long pause and repeat several times.

For example, for Grafton Square:  6-short -- 9-short --  --  -- repeat.

I lived about a mile from the fire station, but still recall hearing the blasts and a few minutes later the sirens on the trucks.

The numeric order makes sense as a reference for someone hearing the code.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Worcester is a pretty big city, 2nd largest in New England, so I'm not sure the system would work on that scale.  I like the police call box or fire alarm explanation better.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

The town I grew up in was part of a large metropolitan area with many neighborhood fire stations.  The code was only sounded from the closest fire station, so we didn't have to hear about calls for stations on the other side of town and vice versa.

In any case, similar codes were used for callboxes.  Many had a lever that automatically pulsed the box code on the line, so the dispatcher knew for sure where the alarm was coming from.

There's an example of one that dials a 2-digit code here:
   http://www.paul-f.com/callbox.htm

and the following photo from a Gamewell call box is from a past auction.  It sends the 3-digit code 4-3-2.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: Willytx on June 14, 2011, 01:08:31 AM
Quote from: gpo706 on June 13, 2011, 10:59:06 PM
WillyTX - you're the man dude!

Thanks!
I like doing things to old photos. I still use Adobe PhotoDeluxe after all these years. They never should have killed that program off.

I had PhotoDeluxe and liked it. New computer caused me to find out it was no longer available and PD wouldn't work on the version of Windows that came with the new computer. Called Adobe and they told me Photoshop Elements was the same as PD but better, and not the hard to use full blown Photoshop. PE opens up PD files.

Not much of a learning curve switching to PE from PD and it really is a powerful tool. I did photo simulations for a couple of cell phone providers for a few years about 10 years ago when they were going through zoning to build new towers. Sticking a tower with base compound and equipment into the proposed site was easy with PE. Price isn't bad either.

I did the front but before I could put it up, you had it there and it looks good. So, I did the back, just for fun.

Sargeguy

Well it looks like my 20-s is down to $22 after the high bidders withdrew their bids.  One bidder had zero feedback and used the same excuse "Bid the wrong amount" as the other high bidder. A person more paranoid than myself might find it a bit of a coincidence that two bidders neglected to look at the description and photos and bid an extraordinary amount, then retracted their bids. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I'M RICH!!!  RICH I TELL YA'!!!RICH!!!

http://tinyurl.com/3w4acxy

Or maybe $212.50 poorer.  I celebrated selling off a lot of candlestick parts by buying more old candlestick parts.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Do you know what kind of receivers those are?  You got your moneys worth on those alone.
Dave

Sargeguy

It appears that there are two brassed out 300 series recievers and a 200 series that was converted to a 300 by adding a new bridge.  It looks similar to one I posted a few weeks back.  I predict that the black painted cup two piece cup  has its hole filled in and is riveted together like the other one.  If I could sell those card holders for $24.99 each I would recoup my money and everything else would be free.  I will keep most/all of them and sell off the brassed out parts and maybe a couple receivers.

EDIT:  They are 144 receivers
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The "Towanda Hoard" arrived today:

9 Dial Card Holders, 4 with dial cards from the TOwanda exchange,  7 have perfect paint.
1 'Hershey's Kiss" type perch with "PAT. PEND." stamp and "XX XX" over the old mark (20-B? 22?)  

"20-AL" is stamped on the front:

2 regular 20-AL perches one brass, one black
1 Black painted "Patent Applied For" base and stem stamp with a refurb mark from 1936.  It appears to be black over brass with no sign of nickel:

1 Bower-Barf finished base and shaft that had been painted black at one time  (couple of tiny paint spots remained):

1 One brassed-out 20-AL base and shaft
2 baseplates with complete felt
3 Switchhooks, two brassed-out and one black
2 switch brackets, one solid perch & one drawn perch
2 Brassed out cups unmarked
2 Brassed-out transmitters, one 337 and the other w/ obliterated mark (missing most of the screws)
1 black painted *329* with a riveted 2-piece cup
1 1/2 mounting bolts
3 144 receivers, two nice original cords, missing 1 diaphragm
2 original subset cords
1 black rubber subset cord

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

A few more items from last weeks buying binge:

533 missing switch-hook and mouthpiece, which I have in parts bin: $21.50

WE Transmitter arm with cup & WE ringer and bells, in addition to the Kellogg arm and cup: $21.71

WE Transmitter with mouthpiece and more Kellogg parts $19.95

WE mouthpiece with a thing attached $11.50

4 Ringer and magneto boxes: $39

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

That WE transmitter with mouthpeice attached might have been off a mine telephone and the the mouthpeice might be solid brass.robby

Sargeguy

Interesting.  Looks like bakelite in the picture.  Can't wait to find out!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

It is brass!  Were these used exclusively on mine phones or did they have another purpose?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409