News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

are there replacement faceplates for AE 80E?

Started by foots, August 20, 2009, 03:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I have been wanting to get an AE 80E but most I come across have stained or otherwise damaged faceplates which has prevented me from buying an otherwise nice phone. Is there any sources for replacements for these?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

that's also one of my problems because the faceplate is made or cardboard
my faceplate has peeling because of moisture accumulation and then it sticked on the acrylic cover

Dan/Panther

If all fails, use my method.
Make one on your computer, print it, and install it.
D/P

foots

Ramil, yours is the first I've ever seen with a rural faceplate - I like it.
Dan/Panther, I looked on OPW last night and couldn't find them listed. What type of material would someone use to make a plate?

HobieSport

Foots, just a note, but sometimes at OPW when one doesn't see something listed (and the site can be a bit perplexing trying to find stuff anyway) you can email them, and they might find it for you.
-Matt

bingster

You might try e-mailing Ron at phonecoinc.com and see if he has any.  He seems to have just about everything.

Also keep an eye out on ebay.  I've seen people selling NOS multi-colored packages of them in the past.
= DARRIN =

foots

Thanks guys. I still need to get an 80E but I'll start checking around ahead of time. I like these phones, they are some of the latest original designs of rotary dial phones made. I have seen an AE/GTE rotary dial phone that was made in the early 80's with cool 80's style graphics on it, but I can't recall the model nor where I saw the picture.

Dan/Panther

Foots;
I do the artwork in photoshop type program, then print on cardstock. You can then laminate to thicker stock if needed. I then cover with clear film. and cut out and install uinder the faceplate.
D/P

mienaichizu

Quote from: foots on August 21, 2009, 12:42:28 PM
Ramil, yours is the first I've ever seen with a rural faceplate - I like it.
Dan/Panther, I looked on OPW last night and couldn't find them listed. What type of material would someone use to make a plate?

Most of my AE phones has a rural faceplate, very much common here in the Philippines

GG

When you get a clean AE cardboard facemat, the thing to do is laminate it in thin plastic on both sides, and then very very carefully cut out the hole(s) for the dial or touchtone keys.  This will prevent it going bad over the years.  Frankly I wish AE had stuck with proper faceplates painted on the reverse side. 

A laminated facemat is just a tiny bit thicker and will cause the faceplate to not be as easily clipped in place.  However it will also tend to prevent the dial from wobbling, which is a problem with the real 80-E sets, where the dial was mounted on a fiddly plastic bracket.  (There are type 80 base units that were "converted" to 80-E by changing the housing, and the dials on those are solidly mounted to the usual metal AE bracket.)

AE_Collector

The first generation AE plates that were clear plastic painted on the back of the ribbed plastic. They had two different colors to them. I think they put gold or silver paint on the back and then wiped it off so that it remained in the grooves and then they painted the entire back with the final color. They were very nice looking.

I have some extra paper mats here somewhere for 80E's and I have seen them on ebaY as well.

Terry

paul-f

I also found some spares and listed them in the classifieds.  Still have a few.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Does somebody have a file they can attach that I can print out?  I started out detesting these phones for their "boxy" look, but after spending a lot of time and effort getting a yellowed one white again using retro-brite, I've gotten to like the one I have, even though it doesn't ring (frequency ringer).

I want to add to the "snow white" look by just printing out the faceplate on regular printer paper and putting it under the plastic cover over the existing faceplate.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MDK

I'm pretty good with computer graphics, and am always up for a challenge. Can you scan an existing faceplate? If so, note the DPI resolution used, and I can try to duplicate the faceplate at its exact size at a much higher resolution for printing.