News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Chime Tapper

Started by ....., April 30, 2017, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought this Northern Electric Chime Tapper for the $10.00 off of Kijiji. When I got it home I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. It was covered in a thick layer of smoke residue. It looks like the gong had been replaced with a larger one as the top of the cover had been cut to fit the larger gong. I couldn't get the chime to work with any of the power supplies that I had from 12 volts to 24 volts. So I gave it a very quick test on 120 volts and it worked. When the power button is pushed the electro magnets pull back the hammer, when the button is released the hammer hits the gong and it gives a wonderful ding. Sort of like what an old gas station bell would sound like when you would run over the air hose pulling up to the pumps. (We old timers would remember that sound.) The fellow I got it from had no history on the bell as he thought it was a fire bell. He collects fire department items. When I'm finished with it, I will mount it on a finished board with a momentary switch ready to ring again. Anyone have any idea what it would have been used for?  Here are some before and after pictures.

The top of the cover that had been cut out for use with the larger gong.

Babybearjs

Interesting Item.... did W.E. ever make this? or was this strictly a Canadian thing?
John

Doug Rose

Doug....that is just so cool! I really love collecting telephones, but love the go withs as well. Perfect description of the rubber hose at the gas station, the minute I read it, I heard it in my head. You did a fantastic job cleaning it up. It is a keeper!!....other Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I agree, very cool item! I also recall that gas station bell, used to run out to the pumps when I heard it at my first job! I do not think this one was in a gas station, too fancy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

so, if you were to add a .47uf cap... this could be an extension bell?
John

Thanks Doug and Harry, I first time it rang I was back in time at the Gulf Service Station that my best friend's father owned. If I ring it a few times it reminds me of the old Trolley Cars in downtown Toronto. I have searched and can not find any information about this "Chime Tapper" Follow member Jeff Lamb has even tried to find information on it and had no luck.

John, I'm not sure if it is an extension bell or not.

If anyone has any clue as to what this is used for let us know.

I guess one hint could be that it was covered in a thick layer of smoke residue. From a place where people smoked maybe?

HarrySmith

Maybe in a waiting room or lobby like a bank. Chime to let people know next up??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Not likely to have been used as a ringer of any sort, as since it only had the one chime, you would have to repeatedly tap it to act as a ringer. Likely as most are figuring for applications such as a gas station, perhaps a loud door bell. Soot may have come from coal heating.That left a layer of soot over everything, whereas smoking tends to leave only a layer of nicotine.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

andre_janew

If such a chime were used at a gas station, then there may be a Western Electric version of it, too.  I recall that the full service stations here in the United States used such chimes as well.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on May 04, 2017, 11:44:34 AM
If such a chime were used at a gas station, then there may be a Western Electric version of it, too.  I recall that the full service stations here in the United States used such chimes as well.

Likely not.
Western Electric divested itself of all non-telephony related manufacturing and merchandizing in 1925.

mentalstampede

All of the gas station chimes I've ever seen have been pneumatic, not electronic.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

Yes, gas stations were pneumatic.

I mentioned the waiting room or lobby as I have a faint memory of sitting somewhere with my Mom and hearing a single tone that let poeple know a person was available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Maybe it was used as the start and stop message signal for a teletype room?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

I thought for sure it was a version of a Code Call chime but Dave has been here and no mention of that possibility so maybe not. A nice looking unit!

I agree about gas station chimes being pneumatic. No need for the added complication of converting from a pneumatic hose to an electric bell in that situation. And I am sure that the less electric devices at a gas station the better!

Terry