News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need your advice or opinion NOW!!!!

Started by Dewdrop, February 07, 2011, 09:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

In a perfect world, every item would be packed with competent loving care, and nobody would ever have to pay extra for that effort.  However, from sad experience, we all know that the world of packing is a million miles away from perfection.  It's true that nobody should have to pay extra for good packing, but don't lose sight of the goal:  We buy these things because we love them and want them, and no amount of insurance can make up for the anger and disappointment we feel when a nice phone arrives destroyed.  Trust me, I've been there more times than I like to think about.  Therefore, anything I can do to reduce (but never completely eliminate) the chance for a disaster is not unreasonable.  I have often paid extra for good packing, and sometimes I have even received it.  So, in conclusion,  my advice is to grit your teeth, cough up the extra bucks, get out the Tums, and then pray for the best.

Dennis Markham

HarrySmith

On an up note to this topic. I recently purchase a North Galion off eBay for one of our Canadian members (no international shipping) and sent my usual note to the seller abour shipping. I could not believe the way the phone arrived! It was in a box 12 X 12 X 12, the phone and handset were wrapped seperately in about 6 layers of bubble wrap and the box was stuffed with styrofoam peanuts! This phone could have gone over Niagra Falls and survived unscathed! The seller was Jerry Tucker ebay name jerrytheo, do not be afraid to buy a phone from this man ;D

BTW, I repacked it in a Medium Flat Rate box 11 X 6 X 9, using his bubble wrap only and I am sure it will get to Canada fine!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

You should see how nicely Jon Kolger packs telephones.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dewdrop

I've won some of jerrytheo's auctions. I thought he was from Sumiton, Alabama. That where the 6 princess phones were shipped from.

Update: my phone (WE 202) was shipped out today via parcel post insured mail according to the seller.

I do appreciate all the concerns and comments regarding this ebay transaction.

Debbie
Debbie

AE_Collector

Jerrytheo IS from Alabama. Harry means that he purchased a phone on ebaY FROM Jerrytheo ON BEHALF of a Canadian Member who was unable to purchase directly from Jerrytheo since apparently Jerrytheo won't sell to or ship to anyone outside of the USA.

That's just the kind of guy Harry is!

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on February 08, 2011, 07:30:39 PM
You should see how nicely Jon Kolger packs telephones.
Jim

There is nothing I would like more than to see how nicely Jon Kolger packs a phone (OR TWO)!

Since we both know what Jon Kolgers phones are like I don't care why or how, I just want one to arrive at my door!

Terry

Dewdrop

Quote from: ae_collector on February 08, 2011, 09:35:40 PM
Jerrytheo IS from Alabama. Harry means that he purchased a phone on ebaY FROM Jerrytheo ON BEHALF of a Canadian Member who was unable to purchase directly from Jerrytheo since apparently Jerrytheo won't sell to or ship to anyone outside of the USA.

That's just the kind of guy Harry is!

Terry

OK, that make sense.

Debbie
Debbie

HarrySmith

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 08, 2011, 07:15:44 PM
I recently purchased a North Galion off eBay for one of our Canadian members

I thought that was what I said ???
Thanks Terry ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

Debbie

Vern P

OK, I don't look at eBAy. What is the going rate for 202's ?  I have some from with E1 and dial, to F1 and no dial to just the base, that needs re-paint.

I am not going to give them away, but I have more than I need.

Vern P
PS Yes I do pack stuff well.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Vern here is a range based upon my "Didn't Win" and "Watch List" on eBAy.  Some were a little less and some went for more, these are average prices for unrestored phones with the usual paint loss around the cradle.

D-1 Manual with F-1=$25-30
D-1 Manual with E-1=$50-60
D-1 5-H Dial F-1 $45-55
D-1 5-H Dial E-1 $65-85

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Vern P

Thanks for the info. Boy are prices down. I paid more for a lot of mine, and got a good deal on them at the time. 

OK this gives me a base to price them at.

Vern P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 10, 2011, 08:14:04 AM
Vern here is a range based upon my "Didn't Win" and "Watch List" on eBAy.  Some were a little less and some went for more, these are average prices for unrestored phones with the usual paint loss around the cradle.

D-1 Manual with F-1=$25-30
D-1 Manual with E-1=$50-60
D-1 5-H Dial F-1 $45-55
D-1 5-H Dial E-1 $65-85

How much are the really nice, original,  unrestored ones going for ?

A have a few that I have been thinking of selling.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.