News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ae 80 from the little town I live in

Started by rbouch, January 31, 2016, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on February 02, 2016, 08:54:01 AMThe code number of the set shown in this post, starts with the prefix "NB", however the catalog I've attached shows a prefix code of "N" only.    I'm not sure the reason for the discrepancy, but it may represent a prefix coding change between 1957, when the catalog was printed, and the manufacturing date shown on this particular telephone set.

Probably matches the codes shown on paul-f.com?

Quote from: paul-f.comNB = Self-compensating set with either a potted or a Type WA-1120 printed wiring board transmission unit and a Type 810 handset.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

Most likely it is Cliff.      I should have checked Paul's site first.     I'm kicking myself right now.  :-)

Jeff

AE_Collector

Those first two letters incremented with various changes as time went along. I have usually associated these changes with changes in the actual network in the phone thought that probably isn't the whole story. First were the N's and then they went to NA, NB, NC, ND and NF. I dont recall seeing or hearing of an NE. Going from my (lack of) memory here but I think the ND might have been associated with the Touch Call 80's (pre 80e) and NF is the 80e sets.

N's were the potted networks but I think maybe NA's were as well. Maybe NA was when they added Automatic Compensation or did that not happen until the PCB style networks?

I am sitting at a condo in Maui at the moment so ....I'm not overly concerned with deciphering AE's coding at the moment. Report back once it is all sorted out please......

Terry

HarrySmith

If you are in Maui why are you even on here?! Get off the computer and enjoy Hawaii!!
On second though maybe you can find some Hawaiian phones to bring back! Maybe just some dial cards!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Oh I am just on here in between mixing drinks. The highs here are only 72 degrees so 20 to 30 degrees F warmer than at home.

I used to have an official "Hawaiian Telecom" shirt that I managed to talk an installer out of (not literally...he had a spare in his truck) in 1980 but my wife was house cleaning and dejunking one day......story of my life!

I can just print some 808 Area Code number cards for some of my AE sets and then I will have some "Official Hawaiian Phones".

On other trips to Hawaii on other islands I have noticed electrical manhole covers with "HELCO" (Hawaaii Electric Light) on them. Seems fitting for a hole in the ground!

Terry