News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 has issues

Started by MesaMike, April 27, 2017, 09:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesaMike

I have a Western Electric 202 phone and a ringer box. It was working for a while but now it has an issue.  The phone rings for incoming calls. If I pick up the receiver I can dial out and I can hear an incoming call, but the transmitter does not seem to pick up my voice. ie. nobody can hear me talk on the other end of the line.  The transmitter itself inside the handset is OK. I have done the swaperoo with a working North Electric Gallion phone that uses the same one.  Any ideas on what the issue could be?

poplar1

What kind of subset are you using and how many conductors between the subset and the 202? Pictures of the wiring would help.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MesaMike

Subset is a 634BA and has 4 conductors between it and the phone

poplar1

When the handset cord is open (broken conductor): if the red wire is open, the receiver will have a loud pop when you press down slowly on the plunger.  If the black handset cord wire is open, you will not have a dial tone (but still have a "monitor" circuit).

Can you remove the transmitter and see if there is still a dial tone? Also, if you can post photos, that might help.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.