News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"imperial 202"

Started by dhilarious, June 20, 2012, 01:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilarious

I am curious, the 1950s factory "franken phone" does not seem to be very popular among collectors.  Any reasoning?

Doug Rose

Why would you call the Imperial 202 a Frankenhone (hate that term)?It is made by WE with all original WE parts. I find them to be great phones, but usually he condition from a plated base and a painted handset (in most case) show there age.  I have a B1, D1 and 302 Imperial sets.

Below is a link to my Imperial B1 102
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4116.msg53634#msg53634

Link to my imperial 302

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4116.msg53665#msg53665

Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Most of the time I pass on them because I prefer the original 30s-era "vintage look" of D1's and B1's.  I'll make an exception if they look like Doug's with the brass finger wheels, but I really dislike the plastic finger wheels I see on most Imperials.  I suppose if I found one in good shape for a bargain price, I could just swap out the finger wheel.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I have two gold Imperials, and I don't consider them to be a Frankenphone either. 

The term "Frankenphone" is not really a word, and not really defined anywhere, so I guess you can call anything a Frankenphone you want. 

To me, a Frankenphone is where someone puts odds and ends parts together, usually from different manufacturers, to create an item that never existed in real life.  Then, go on to sell it, all the while, representing that it is authentic.

Any Way, I am a fan of the Imperials, the Continentals and now, the "Metropolitan".

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 20, 2012, 01:57:31 PM

To me, a Frankenphone is where someone puts odds and ends parts together, usually from different manufacturers, to create an item that never existed in real life.  Then, go on to sell it, all the while, representing that it is authentic.

Bill...I agree 100%. Excellent definition of a Frankenphone...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on June 20, 2012, 01:55:29 PM
I prefer the original 30s-era "vintage look" of D1's and B1's.  I'll make an exception if they look like Doug's with the brass finger wheels, but I really dislike the plastic finger wheels I see on most Imperials.  
Greg,,,I found a "thick" clear finger wheel that went on the 4Js awhile ago. Stephen Jester told me how to mount it after I gave up on it. I was seriously considering adding it to the B1 Imperial in place of the Brass, I just haven't found the time. I am swaying back and forth, as I did find it this way...Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5306.0
Kidphone

dhilarious

LOL, I called it a factory franken phone because they made it up to get rid of excess stock, thats all.  I got one with a 685 subset for $40 in good condition, so I figured it was not very popular.  Still learning.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: dhilarious on June 20, 2012, 04:14:10 PM
LOL, I called it a factory franken phone because they made it up to get rid of excess stock, thats all.  I got one with a 685 subset for $40 in good condition, so I figured it was not very popular.  Still learning.

Actually, you got an extremely good buy on that at $40, depending on its condition.  I would not assume there was no collector interest, but rather that you hit a home run and got one while the other collectors weren't looking!

Great find.
-Bill G

Russ Kirk

I agree,  $40 is a good deal.  Getting an imperial is on my list,  but almost all of them that I have seen gold plating issues. Hard to find one where the gold is in good shape.   

Post some photos of your phone when you have a chance.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dhilarious

Quote from: Russ Kirk on June 20, 2012, 05:03:31 PM
I agree,  $40 is a good deal.  Getting an imperial is on my list,  but almost all of them that I have seen gold plating issues. Hard to find one where the gold is in good shape.   

Post some photos of your phone when you have a chance.

It works and is is good shape.  The thing is..They only advertised it as the phone.  I was not expecting the 685 subset to come with it.  I paid more than $40 just for subset.   I think it would have sold for alot more if they would have mentioned the 685 ringer/subset came with it.

I dont really care for how it looks though.  The plastic dial, nah.  The puke tan handset and cord, NA.  Im going to get it chromed and change everything else to black.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: dhilarious on June 20, 2012, 06:51:36 PM
I dont really care for how it looks though.  The plastic dial, nah.  The puke tan handset and cord, NA.  Im going to get it chromed and change everything else to black.

Are you saying you are going to turn the Imperial into a Frankenphone????

-Bill G

dhilarious

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 20, 2012, 06:55:52 PM
Quote from: dhilarious on June 20, 2012, 06:51:36 PM

Are you saying you are going to turn the Imperial into a Frankenphone????

prolly.

TelePlay

This was one of the best deals I scored and it came with a 685 subset, all for $46. Just got a soft center finger wheel but still needs cords. Cleaned up nice. Second photo is the eBay listing photo. They are a part of Bell history and I'm keeping mine that way.

dhilarious

I dont think anyone likes them.  I see three of us in this thread that got them with 685 subset for less than $50. 

Im sure if they were black instead of cream color they would have been more collectable.