News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Short Video of The Telephone Museum of P.E.I.

Started by DavePEI, August 13, 2012, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Yes, you do have to keep the batteries separate - I have a box of batteries up in the cupboard beside me that came from my cell collection. Those include 4 or 5 large bag phone batteries, and others. The problem is with the Dynatacs - if you take the battery off them, you lose half of the phone :-) And the cells aren't removable. So much as I hate to, I have to display the DynaTacs with their batteries. I hope none of them start leaking. So far, I haven't discovered any leaking. I'd hate to lose any of them because of leaks. They are just too rare now to lose...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

gpo706

Dave/2CV - the worst thing about old mobiles is finding a decent battery that can hold a charge for a decent length of time, replacement batteries cost more than the handsets.

Another thing is you get through lots of dud handsets, "invalid pin code" / "contact service" / "sim rejected" etc, but from 99p to at the most £5 a pop you end up with a few basket cases.

2CV look here, very comprehensive site for Nokias with all the handset codes:

http://nokiamuseum.com/index.php?start=120&collection=0&sort=%60release%60
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

DavePEI

Quote from: gpo706 on August 15, 2012, 11:21:39 PM
Dave/2CV - the worst thing about old mobiles is finding a decent battery that can hold a charge for a decent length of time, replacement batteries cost more than the handsets.

Well, being as Analog service is dead, it is a pretty moot point with my display phones, as they are all dead. However, before Analog was shut off here, all of them would take a charge and all worked. Nothing more frustrating than hearing No Service when you turn a phone on :-)

I can't believe how much some people are asking for the old Dynatac 8000X. About the only thing you can do with them is display them in a museum, as i do ::)

Incidentally, to tell an 8000x from the later Dynatacs, look at the LEDs. Those in the later productions 8000s had much larger LEDs. The earliest, the 8000x had the very small LEDs. Production years: 8000x - 6 March 1983 to 1987, 8000s - 1986 to 1989

Despite production beginning in 1983, the 8000x wasn't FCC approved until the fall of that year, and cellular service had to be installed in major US cities before the roll-out in 1984. If I recall correctly, the first city to receive cellular service was NYC.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I had one Motorola that was throwing out a weird error, telling me to enter the unlock code, but the IMEI number was a string of 0s, turned out to be the generic battery it came with (an AT&T special), it had an extra terminal on the connections, and that extra terminal was making the phone forget it's IMEI, a quick bit of insulating sellotape and the problem went away and the phone worked... :D

The only phone that I have that I couldn't get to accept any SIM card was a Motorola "Metrocall" or something like that, nice phone, but wouldn't take any SIM card, so I guess it was for a service that isn't in operation or from another country...  :-\