"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

countryman's Siemens & Halske Model 28

Started by Jim Stettler, June 11, 2020, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from find of the month
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23961.msg239179#msg239179

>>>From the European continent I'll throw in this Siemens & Halske Model 28.
It appeared on eBay classified ads for pickup in my neighborhood, "please make offers".
I thought 25 Euro (28.45 $ US) was fair and I got the phone. The seller asked me what I was going to do with it and he looked a bit confused when I said, making calls  ;D
The phone was a bit filthy but the dial ran like new right away and it is complete and working. The transmitter ins't the best of course.<<<

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I think  the rear view of this phone is really  cool looking.
You got a good deal
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tubaman

It's a really nice example, but I think it's actually a VSa tist 66 and not W28.
They are very similar but the W28 has the handset cord entering at the side and the front number holder as a separate piece.
This older post clarifies - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16018.0
:)

countryman

That's completely correct. It's a 5/1934 ( Production site B[erlin], Code P5) Vsa tist 66 k5. That's why I called it a "Model 28". Siemens made them for private installations. They resemble the earlier Model 26 with sound slots in the base, which is rare (mine is not).

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on June 12, 2020, 06:50:56 AM
That's completely correct. It's a 5/1934 ( Production site B, Code P5) Vsa tist 66 k5. That's why I called it a "Model 28". Siemens made them for private installations. They resemble the earlier Model 26 with sound slots in the base, which is rare (mine is not).

So a 'Model 28' and 'W28' are not the same thing? Thanks for the clarification.
:)

countryman

That's what the german forum suggests.
W-numbers were used by the Post from 1928 on, similar private phones may be called a "Modell" xx.  Others call it a "SA 28" (German Wikipedia article). Of course it would be better to use the official numbers, but this rarely happens.