"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear Telephones (by Jim S. and others)

Started by Jim Stettler, December 29, 2009, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: FABphones on November 26, 2020, 04:00:44 AM
Nice additions.

Thanks for that. Excluding endcaps, is the ITT handset molded in two pieces (left/right)? Is the AE handset molded in two or more parts (could you add a hi-res photo of each side of that one as well please). Am intrigued as to how these were made. Clever.

:)

Here you go CJ.

I compared the two clear AE handsets I have.

Some comparison pictures of my 2 clear AE80's for Jim.

Doug Rose

Very nice Doug. I like how one has a plastic fingerwheel with a numbers only plate and the other has a metal fingerwheel with a  metropolitan plate. Sharp looking phones. The clear ones always stand out!......other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 27, 2020, 08:38:26 AM
Very nice Doug. I like how one has a plastic fingerwheel with a numbers only plate and the other has a metal fingerwheel with a  metropolitan plate. Sharp looking phones. The clear ones always stand out!......other Doug

The clear one with the metal finger wheel had a plastic one on it. I changed it, I didn't like the white.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Duffy on November 27, 2020, 09:20:36 AM
The clear one with the metal finger wheel had a plastic one on it. I changed it, I didn't like the white.
I think it looks a lot nicer with the black dial.

You can probably find a clear TT faceplate for the ITT set.
There are lots of smooth clear faceplates out there. Many  phone systems that use 2500 sets will have a paper underlay under a smooth faceplate.
There are some textured clear faceplates as well,  Usually they are on some of the generic clear housings. These are harder to find.
I have seen a couple different textures on them.
For a WE 2500 I stripped  a back-painted faceplate, I used brake fluid and a small parts brush.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 27, 2020, 11:05:29 AM
I think it looks a lot nicer with the black dial.

You can probably find a clear TT faceplate for the ITT set.
There are lots of smooth clear faceplates out there. Many  phone systems that use 2500 sets will have a paper underlay under a smooth faceplate.
There are some textured clear faceplates as well,  Usually they are on some of the generic clear housings. These are harder to find.
I have seen a couple different textures on them.
For a WE 2500 I stripped  a back-painted faceplate, I used brake fluid and a small parts brush.

Jim

Jim

That is already in the works, I spoke to Matt at Oldphoneworks and he has a clear face plate and a gray handset cord set aside for the ITT.
I have to go there anyway because they have bought some of my extra coloured phones. I'll be going there next week.
I believe that the gray handsets cord on a clear phone lets the eyes focus on the phone. On the touch tone anyway.
Now on the clear rotary's the handset cord should match the dial plate.

CDN Doug

Key2871

Clear plates are out there. I had a clear one with a differant color transparent, and went in search of a clear faceplate. After several months and by pure chance I found one on a brown 2500 in a yard sale the phone was priced at $5.00 so I bought it. Just for the clear faceplate.
KEN

compubit

Clear faceplates should be easier to find, especially from a "business" 2500 phone used within either a Centrex or private system - hotels, too - where there are dialing codes that folks need to be aware of.

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

The clear T/T face plate I'm getting from Oldphoneworks is a generic one. Matt told me that they are just clear with no notch for the window.
It will do until I find the right one.

Jim Stettler

Regarding the number molded in the ITT set:
The number I am referring to is a 6 digit and closer to the front .  The number  is 184399

I think it is a mold designation number vs a mold number.
ie: The number is designating  the model. The mold number is a control number for a specific mold within that designation.

I doubt if you phone has the mold designation  number that I am referring to.
I think it came about later after ITT became Cortelco.
A clear branded ITT housing is a tough find.

EXAMPLE: If yours has the mold # 184399 that means it is a 2500 type housing, The 2 is the number of the specific mold.
Just a working guess

I think the mold designation number on the clear sets is the same as a color set (# 184399). It is a model number for inventory control of the mold, Individual mold numbers get used to designate individual molds. This becomes a QC  control number for the mold itself.

This is all guesses,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 28, 2020, 12:08:51 PM
Regarding the number molded in the ITT set:
The number I am referring to is a 6 digit and closer to the front .  The number  is 184399

I think it is a mold designation number vs a mold number.
ie: The number is designating  the model. The mold number is a control number for a specific mold within that designation.

I doubt if you phone has the mold designation  number that I am referring to.
I think it came about later after ITT became Cortelco.
A clear branded ITT housing is a tough find.

EXAMPLE: If yours has the mold # 184399 that means it is a 2500 type housing, The 2 is the number of the specific mold.
Just a working guess

I think the mold designation number on the clear sets is the same as a color set (# 184399). It is a model number for inventory control of the mold, Individual mold numbers get used to designate individual molds. This becomes a QC  control number for the mold itself.

This is all guesses,
Jim

Jim

It only markings on the body are as shown in the pictures. The number 2 and The logo ITT. On the handset there is a number 1 on the receiver end and a number 2 on the transmitter end then the logo ITT in the center.

Jim Stettler

I think the number 184399 is only on the US ITT/CORTELCO unbranded  housings.

Many of the full  clear unbranded ITT/CORTELCO sets were made in 12/89. This is the most common date for these production clears,
The sets has a sticker on the bottom.

The novelty model has colored caps and colored interior. I  have a 4/89.
Goldstar did the same making full clear and novelty clear 2500 sets. Theirs are branded.
Just some observations,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 28, 2020, 09:00:34 PM
I think the number 184399 is only on the US ITT/CORTELCO unbranded  housings.

Many of the full  clear unbranded ITT/CORTELCO sets were made in 12/89. This is the most common date for these production clears,
The sets has a sticker on the bottom.

The novelty model has colored caps and colored interior. I  have a 4/89.
Goldstar did the same making full clear and novelty clear 2500 sets. Theirs are branded.
Just some observations,
Jim

I believe this body is older than 1989, just because it's aged and yellowed soft plastic. It was likely made before Cortelco took ITT Canada over. The frame is dated 11-80, but is it the frame that belong to this body? I think someone put this phone together using another phone as a donor. That is just my opinion.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Duffy on November 28, 2020, 09:22:58 PM
I think someone put this phone together using another phone as a donor. That is just my opinion.
I think you are right.
Non-production clears sets can be pretty random
I will find my clear ITT and see what the mold marks are.

Are you going to put one of your new sets  in the November FOTM?
I nominated Roody's clear 500 set.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,