News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Possible Tenite Light Gray? Here's to hoping!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 03, 2018, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I bought this on eBay yesterday for $25 BiN plus $20 shipping. It was a bad set of pictures of the least important or relevant parts of the phone, but I was able to see that it's Light Gray, and it has an open center fingerwheel. I saw the handset cord in the background of several shots, and it looked thinner to me. The line cord also appears to be thin. I looked at the listing again, and noticed that the handset cord actually looks thicker, more pre-'60 than it did before.

The plastics also don't appear to be very discolored, and Tenite Light Grays aren't found to be environmentally affected very often. This could very well be a Tenite set! ;D

The handset looks painted, but it's Light Gray over Light Gray. The seller didn't provide pictures of the base or handset caps, but it looks like it could be Tenite to me!

www.ebay.com/itm/332541906818
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Christian - I hope you're right!  In you favor are the triangular rubber feet, not the later round ones.  The base could be as old as 9-58.  The cords look 60's thin to me, but I've seen a good number of '59 handset cords that were a bit thinner, so we'll have to wait and see.  Light gray is cool either way!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Usually I'm pretty good at piking up on handset cord thickness, but the way the seller took the pictures has me stumped. It looks thinner to me now! >:(

I have a Light Gray 554 with a '65 handset cord and '58 plastics, so I guess anything is possible here. It also has Light Gray-over-Light Gray painted plastics, like the handset on this phone.

I guess waiting to see is better than staring at the pictures until it gets here! ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford