News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green GPO

Started by wds, February 17, 2018, 04:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

There was a thread a few weeks ago about a green GPO - BIN for $158.  I didn't want to say anything until it arrived on my doorstep.  It's here and it's beautiful.  Not a chips or scratch except for the cradle area.  The phone is dirty, and in need of a good polishing.  The handset doesn't appear to be faded - maybe a different material?  I have a new camera, and I'm still trying to get the colors right on the picture - keeps making the phone look blue, but it is definitely green.

Original thread -
Green GPO
Dave

AE_Collector

Some time spent on the buffer and it should look very nice! Plus....you got the coveted number card with it! Glad the purchase from Belarus went without incident.

Terry

ThePillenwerfer

Siemen Brothers 1938 according to the marks on the handset.

The capacitors have been changed as has, obviously, the handset cord. 

Very nice indeed and a heck of a bargain.

wds

Is it possible that the handset is a bakelite covered metal?  The caps are bakelite/plastic, but the handle has a metal feel to it.
Dave

ThePillenwerfer

I've never heard of such a thing but I don't claim to know everything.

Another point of interest is the base of the drawer.  Not many were polished and very few had the GPO logo on.  Have a look at http://britishtelephones.com/collect.htm

wds

Gave it a quick polishing and it turned out beautiful.  I still can't get the color right, but a lot closer using my phone camera instead of my Nikon.   The green in the picture is still a little light compared to the actual phone.
Dave

AE_Collector

Good work saving the number card!

Terry