"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Tel & Tel Co 1919 Candle Stick Phone & bellbox

Started by lou2ser, May 12, 2011, 09:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou2ser

American Tel & Tel Co 1919 Candle Stick Phone & bellbox -- $175

Antique American Tel & Tel Co. black Bakelite Candlestick Telephone. The phone is 11 1/2 inches tall and bears a nameplate stating: American Tel & Tel Co., 328, Patented in USA, Jan 14, 1919. (I believe its 328 and 1919 but it is very hard to read w/out comprimising the original texture of the phone, however, it could read 323 and 1914) The only thing really wrong w/this piece is the cord is worn out in several places, however it is the original cord and it is still attached in all areas. The bell box is attached and in good shape. The box says Western Electric Made in USA, and still rings as it rings a little as I move the box to take pictures. The dial on the phone works but sticks a little, it is dirty and I didn't want to clean it, again not to comprimise the original texture. This phone has been stored well and is a great collectable.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/atq/2376428525.html

If someone wants it I can purchase it locally and ship it to you.

wds

I would be interested.  I sent them an email to try and find out the ringer box #, the candlestick #, and the dial #.  Do you have any other information other than what is in the listing?
Dave

wds

I made an offer that she accepted, but I'm a little curious now about  whether or not this is a a good phone, or a mish mash of parts.  It comes with a 634 box, with the 101a coil.  The stick has a 50al base, a 20al perch struck out, and 151al on the front of the perch.  323 transmitter.  Not a #2 dial, and was unable to confirm what type, so I'm assuming a #5.  Is this a good example of WE recycling old parts, or just a pile of parts someone put together? 
Dave

Sargeguy

151 AL were manufactured in the 1940s from old parts, so it is common to find an overstrike on the perch.  They were usually converted 50ALs or 51ALs but anything was possible.  One of my 151ALs actually has a solid perch.  It would not have had a #2 dial which were obsolete by the time these were made, maybe a #4 but most likely a #5.  It would have an anti-sidetone subset such as a 634 or 684.  The 323 is good, at least it isn't a "bulldog" which are more common.  Does it have a 706A reciever?. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

This phone was listed on Ebay - Item # 140543511988 with a $175 reserve.  Terrible pictures.  I'm pretty sure it has the older style receiver, not the 706.  The seller was selling it for her father in law, so she didn't know much about it.  It has the old style transmitter, 20al perch, 50al base, so I'm hoping for a #4 dial.  I should have it in a couple days then I'll post pictures.  I thought all the 151's had the bulldog transmitter, so I was happy to see the 323.  Supposedly it's in pretty good shape.  No breaks, or damage. 
Dave

wds

Received the phone today.  Dirty, and an extra layer of paint, but should clean up fine.  The date on the coil from the 634, the transmitter, and receiver cap is IV 37, 5H dial &dial finger plate is '42.  I have never had a receiver like this one, so maybe someone can help - the magnet won't come out.  The threads on the cap seem to be brass, the shell is bakelite, but the last couple rows of threads are brass, and the brass threaded ring spins.  I can't get the magnet out for some reason.  Does anyone know what receiver this is?  And how to disassemble it?
Dave

rdelius

That receiver might have been for  for a paystation or explosion proof telephone
Robby

Wallphone

Wds, I just found a Stromberg-Carlson receiver that I have where the magnet is threaded into the housing. I hope the pic helps. Good luck.
Doug Pav

rdelius

The one with the stick is a WE rec, Look at the magnets with purple lacquer.I do not remember if it threads into the shell like a SC.They might have put tar or wax in the shell and before it hardened , pressed the corded magnet assy into it to seal the unit.
Robby

wds

The mystery of the stuck magnet is solved.  The shell had some cracks in it, so apparently someone felt the need to glue the cracks but also fill the inside of the shell with glue, then reassemble the receiver, glue and all.  I'm still not sure what the purpose of the threaded brass ring is. 
Dave

rdelius

the rec magnet was placed into the cap and the threaded ring screwed down. Then the shell was screwed down. This made it hard for somebody to remove the cap and damage or steal the diaphragm.Most likely from a paystation or other public location
Robby

wds

I was re-reading your previous post - so the glue, or caulk, was to prevent water from getting into the receiver, and the brass ring help prevent the cap from being removed.  There were several cracks in the shell, but all that glue must have held it all together.  The receiver shows some abuse - but judging from the appearance of the wires and the condition of the inside of the phone, everything appears to be original.  I suppose the receiver could have been placed on this phone at anytime in the last 75 years, but could the 151al have been used someplace that would have required this water tight receiver?
Dave

wds

Got a nice surprise when I started working on the subset.  It's a 534 converted to a 634, and is copper plated.  The metal underneath seems to be pretty corroded so I probably won't be able to save the copper.  There are many rough black spots, that I think will have to be sanded to get it smooth.  Would anyone leave the rough looking copper in lieu of a good paint job?
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on May 21, 2011, 01:59:27 PM
Got a nice surprise when I started working on the subset.  It's a 534 converted to a 634, and is copper plated.  The metal underneath seems to be pretty corroded so I probably won't be able to save the copper.  There are many rough black spots, that I think will have to be sanded to get it smooth.  Would anyone leave the rough looking copper in lieu of a good paint job?
Dave....No ...I would never leave it that way, Noxon on wire brush on a drill, slow speeds. if the plate is deep and will shine up, if you loose the copper, you were going to repaint anyway. Give it a shot.....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

Personally, I'd rather see shiny black than derelict copper.  Nice that it's anti-sidetone.
= DARRIN =