"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo "Monophone Tool"

Started by AE_Collector, October 17, 2011, 01:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on October 17, 2011, 11:42:06 AM
Looking at the two in catalog Bulletin 540 I do see a visual difference between the two tools. The H-50754  will have a 1/2" deep axial hole on the octagon end. On the H-43172 the hole will only be 1/4" deep.
Doug Pav

WHAT! On the Octogon end?

I checked and my Monophone Tool has the 1/2" deep hole on each end so I guess it is the H-50754.

I have been talking with Dave privately about the 1/4" versus 1/2" deep hole but incorrectly assumed it was on the Plunger Nut removal end, not the Octogon end. I can't figure out why it would even have a hole on the Octogon end and then they redesigned and renumbered the tool becasue they made the hole deeper?

Terry

DavePEI

Happily, I was able to purchase one of these today. I have been looking for quite a while!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Dave:

An Original? Where from, ebaY?

Terry

flingwing1969

There are a couple of options to the tool:
1. Carefully grind down the hex end of an over-sized allen wrench to fit
2. Use a properly sized hex-bolt and a pair of pliers - or weld on a small t-handle onto the bolt.

G-Man

Quote from: AE_collector on March 14, 2012, 04:27:06 PM
Dave:

Terry
Hi Terry

A fellow Canuck, Rob Baxter had just offered one for 40-dollars on the TCI list.

If I recall correctly, another collector had a bunch of them made a few years ago.

stub

DavePEI ,
              Man!!! :o I tried all night to get Rob just after he put up the post but I guess you were faster.
Oh well , I'm glad someone from CRPF got it.  You lucky dog ;D.  stub

Terry,
          Gary G. told me that it might be one he had made.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on March 14, 2012, 04:27:06 PM
Dave:

Terry

Rob B. sent a message to the lists he had one for sale, so I jumped on it when he did.
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

So is it original or an exact copy? Is the picture you posted "the tool" or an example of one? Looks like an original but maybe someone made exact copies in the past. Being that it was in BC it could well be original (Big time AE Territory here)

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on March 14, 2012, 07:41:53 PM
So is it original or an exact copy? Is the picture you posted "the tool" or an example of one? Looks like an original but maybe someone made exact copies in the past. Being tha tit was in BC it could well be original (Big time AE Territory here)

Terry
Yes, that is the exact tool. No idea if it is original, or if it is an exact copy.... Guess I will know when it comes in a week or so. Incidentally, I may have shaken loose a few more of them. More privately...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: stub on March 14, 2012, 06:27:12 PM
DavePEI ,
              Man!!! :o I tried all night to get Rob just after he put up the post but I guess you were faster.
Oh well , I'm glad someone from CRPF got it.  You lucky dog ;D.  stub

Terry,
          Gary G. told me that it was one he had made.   stub
Stand by: I may have information about another source.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on March 14, 2012, 06:27:12 PM

You got yourself a nice new AE today....what else do you want! :) I was sort of looking at it too but way to busy today to keep track of it. An interesting unit, presumably a home made case for the intercom type unit. Looks neat and good price!

Terry

stub

Terry,
         ;D I WANT IT ALL ;D!!!!You better LOOK again ( AE Catalog 4055 ,pg 19 , L--961- AO , AE Flush Type Wall phone ) that my friend is a telephone not a intercom. Man I was so afraid that Mr H was going to show up and mess up everthing. Can't wait till it gets here. I'm still kicking my butt  ::) over a Turquoise 880 I let slip away ;D ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Quote from: AE_collector on March 14, 2012, 07:41:53 PM
So is it original or an exact copy? Is the picture you posted "the tool" or an example of one? Looks like an original but maybe someone made exact copies in the past. Being tha tit was in BC it could well be original (Big time AE Territory here)

Terry
A few years ago Gary Goff had a number of these machined and offered them for sale.

Rob Baxter is a close friend of Gary and have collaborated on several projects in the past though I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Perhaps Gary will chime-in and let us know if they are still available.

G-Man

From Gary Goff when asked if he still had some in stock-

"No I don't, but I asked the man who made them if he would make more and he said yes. The cost would be about $40 total to the buyer. I just have not taken the time to order them. I will do so next week when I return."

AE_Collector

Are you sure he is talking about (close to) exact replica's as opposed to the ones that have been made to do the job but don't look like the originals at all?.

Terry