News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Leich Magneto - What Model Is It?

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 01, 2012, 04:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received this Leich magneto phone yesterday.  This is the first one that I have owned.  I am not really interested in magneto phones, but this was so cheap that I couldn't resist.

I cannot make any sense out of the numbers printed on the bottom.  I have seen pictures of other Leich magnetos which had "901" on the bottom.  Also, this one has a button on the top which pushes a release lever on the hook switch.  I have not noticed one of these before.  What is its purpose?  Is this phone the same as a 901?  Can it be converted to CB?  Is it worth anything? 

Also, I have noticed a number of Leichs on ebay with AE type 41 handsets like this one has.  Is there a reason for so many Leichs to have AE handsets?

Thank You

Larry

poplar1

The 2-step hookswitch is used on multi-party lines so that you can see if the line is in use before attempting to make a call. I've never seen one on a magneto phone.

Leich was bought out by AE but I don't know if they started using AE handsets on the 901. The 901 was still in the AE catalogs in the early 70s (about $165).

The original Leich handsets had WE F-1 transmitters and HA-1 recievers. Independent phone companies used whatever brand they had on hand for repairs. I imagine there were a lot of broken AE 40s that could be mined for parts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

I was guessing that this was an earlier phone because of the bakelite base.

Larry

poplar1

I think there was a recent thread on poor packing that shows how brittle these are. All the ones I have seen are Bakelite but I don't know if they switched to plastic.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on November 01, 2012, 05:45:11 PM
I think there was a recent thread on poor packing that shows how brittle these are. All the ones I have seen are Bakelite but I don't know if they switched to plastic.

These phones are extremely brittle, and I warned the seller as such and asked that it be packed properly, BUT he packed it together with a 354 (minus handset) into a Priority Mail medium flat rate box!  I was amazed when the phones came out of the box without apparent damage.  There is one very small hairline crack running out of one of the cord openings on the back of the shell, but I don't think that it was caused by the packing.  I applied super glue to the inside of the crack, and it is almost invisible.

As far as I am aware, these phones were all bakelite, but many or most have aluminum bases.  The CB model which replaced the bakelite one was made of tenite with a bakelite handset.  I have one of both the older and newer CB/dial models.

Larry

AE_Collector

Never seen one with other than a Bakelite base and case.

Terry

dsk

Have not seen one like this, but I have an idea (or 2) about that button.

1 and most likely: when you lift off the receiver you may listen but not talk. (Is the line in use?) And of course if it is in use, you don't want to listen to other people so you just hang up, and tries later.
If it is free you just push the button, and the battery connects to the transmitter circuit.

2 It is a mid station apparatus. normally when you go offhook , you will be connected to the line in direction of the exchange, and the others are excluded. pressing the button connects you in the opposite direction, and you may talk to others on the same line. (This was used a lot in Norway)

dsk

G-Man

Type 900 Magneto Telephone

Meets every installation requirement. You can offer sub-
  scribers their choice of wall or desk installation, because one
  phone works either way.
      Easy conversion to common-battery service makes this
  phone a particularly inviting investment. Simply remove the
  Alnico generator, add a dial blank and change a few wires.
   All other parts remain the same. If you convert to dial,
  simply add a dial to each phone.
                                                                            Ringer  Price
       Cat. No.                Description                        Ohm    Each
     901-1000  Complete Magneto Telephone      1000  $32.05
     901-1600  Complete Magneto Telephone      1600    32.25
     901-2500  Complete Magneto Telephone      2000    32.55
     911-1000  Complete Magneto Telephone
                           with Hookswitch Latch*           1000     32.90
     911-1600  Complete Magneto Telephone
                  with Hookswitch Latch*                    1600     33.10
     911-2500  Complete Magneto Telephone
                         with Hookswitch Latch*              2500    33.40

For Ground Ringing Pushbutton. Add suffix D to 911
    and Add                                                                           $.85

For Retractile Handset Cord,  Add Suffix KK and Add      .30

*911 models have a hookswitch latch for monitoring on party
  lines, conserving batteries. Models equipped for ground
  rlnging are also arranged for monitoring.

NOTE: All Type 900 magneto telephones are equipped with
              a "sure-ring" condenser.

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 01, 2012, 04:25:22 PM
...  Is there a reason for so many Leichs to have AE handsets?

Thank You

Larry

So you would "like" them more, hahaha!  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)   ;D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e