News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

My dial is a AE51/51A with a "metro plate", with two pulsing and three shunt contacts, and a strap across two of the contacts.

The letters are black, the numbers red.  The "0" position says operator above it, no "Q" or "Z" designation. The dial also has a silencing pawl so it makes no sound when first turned.

Dunno if that helps any, but maybe it could.
RotoTech99

The ringer is a D-56515A straight line biased ringer like the ones in Cat.TA-57.

Jrs1958

AE collector, hope these help.  Dial is an S60C. Has AECO diamond with made in USA under that. Dial is quiet when winding.

Jrs1958

To Roto Tech 99.  You Have a beautiful phone as well!

unbeldi

If I found a local battery AE 40, I would certainly not gut it to make a new set.
I don't recall having seen an LB AE 40, and having one would be precious.

I don't think it makes sense to assign a new number to a gutted set.

AE also made special Type 40 sets for PAX systems. Do we have any details on those ?  I do remember them being in the catalogs, but without details, IIRC.

RotoTech99

Dear jsg1958:

I'm venturing a guess, but it sounds like a 51 or 51A dial, those are the ones I know with that feature; There is a SILENCING PAWL that prevents the ratcheting sound when you wind (first turn) the dial. it's visible as a small tab near the top left of the fingerwheel mount plate when the fingerwheel is removed.

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

I am pretty certain that these are the 11 patent numbers associated with that oronge ink stamped decal that has some completely unreadable and others somewhat unreadable:

1615311   1642822   1687117   1688475   1689598   1719992   1738919   1878800   2068700   2133469   2149628

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

The old LB guts were tested, and weren't reusable, and I didn't see it as logical to scrap it, having no other use; As I was needing an AE40, it made sense to rebuild with new internals for me, and use the existing
components to finish it out that was good (the handset and its components).

I was taught to repurpose things where I could, and if it made sense to. As my specialty is mainly single line phones,and my LB set came similar to a CB set, it made sense to me to convert it.

I have it working nicely now, so I believe I met my need on it.

If I get any good local battery sets in.the future, I'll do everything I can to put them to use, or find someone who can.

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Second Code Field - 4th Character (when present) is a Color Code

And back to colors. I went through the 4055, 4055A, 4055C & 4055D AE catalogs and came up with this consistent list of available colors though the last 4 colors listed showed as unavailable in AE 35 and AE 50 wall phones. I will add the base code letter for the ones that we know. I left these in the most common order that they were listed in the manuals. The manuals didn't suggest ordering letters for the colors but rather just specifying the color desired. One could make the assumption that Black could be A and the two derivatives of bakelite production, Walnut and Mahogany could have become color B & C. That makes 10 colors in all and if lettered consecutively the 10th one would be J which we have determined is Nile Green already. We need some more colored Monophone examples to learn more.

_ - Black
_ - Walnut
_ - Mahogany
F - Chinese Red
E - Old Ivory
D - Jade Green
J - Nile Green
G - Royal Blue
H - Orchid
_ - Maroon

Terry

RotoTech99

I for one will keep looking to see what I find.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Here is a code from a Jade Green AE40: L4126 DSLD SJ7
And here's one from a Ivory AE40: L4124 D20E. (These are from my lists)

You might have already covered these, see if they fit the list.

I checked after I initially posted this, both were on the list; that is what I get for not looking closer.

I will see what I find on the other colors.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Have you checked AE Catalog 4055F?

That might have some more answers for us.

Jrs1958

AE Collector, with the pictures and info I supplied, you are thinking my phone was made around August of 1939?  Once again, thanks for all the research and information.

AE_Collector

Well the color code letters determined for four different colors fit for the phones you mentioned. I have a couple of examples of black 40 sets with a letter in the 4th position of the second code but it must be for some other option or feature. I think it was "T". Other than that I have seen no black 40's with a 4th position code in the second Base Code.

Anyone reading here who has a colored AE 40/50 please check for codes on the base and call 911 report back to us here!

I don't have the 4055-F catalog. I would like to get a copy some time as well as the very hard to track down 4055-B catalog.

Terry

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 09:17:31 PM
Here is a code from a Jade Green AE40: L4126 DSLD SJ7
And here's one from a Ivory AE40: L4124 D20E. (These are from my lists)

You might have already covered these, see if they fit the list.

I checked after I initially posted this, both were on the list; that is what I get for not looking closer.

I will see what I find on the other colors.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 08, 2017, 09:38:46 PM
AE Collector, with the pictures and info I supplied, you are thinking my phone was made around August of 1939?  Once again, thanks for all the research and information.

I received your pictures. Thanks, I will finish off entering that info shortly. All indications to me are that it is a very early set and 1939 is "very early" for AE 40's. Unbeldi has looked up a lot of the patent dates and kept records which I have not done.  That will be an area to work on to come up with dates for various label configurations (sequences of patent numbers) and what date ranges their production could fall between. Unbeldi felt your phone was from 1939 based on something he found in the patent details and based on how it is equipped that seems very possible to me.

Terry

unbeldi

AE40 Orchid color is code 'H'

L 4044 ASLH      BP1       D-780503-A41 (=>1952)    Gold trim, metro plate,  3-line number card of 1955, low-z ringer (2x700Ω)

Set likely made between 1955 and 1957.