News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 Red Soft Plastic Rotary Wall Phone eBay.....

Started by John S, December 04, 2013, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: John S on December 04, 2013, 08:13:26 PM
Thanks Dennis......

I have it in the basement.  The phone came from a smoker.  I have it in a bag trying to get the smoke out.  Once the smoke fades away, I will take it all apart.  The smoke smell really was intense.  Overall happy with the purchase...

John
How do you expect to get the smoke out when it's locked up in a bag?
First step is to wash it thoroughly with a fairly aggressive cleaning agent. I use Fantastik most of the time, it also cleans organic residues, in this case nicotine. Letting it soak in a solution for some time will help getting as much off the surfaces as possible, but in the end it may need some light abrasion.

AE40FAN

I saw this phone.   I can't believe it went for so low...congratulations!

WesternElectricBen

Great deal you got, if forgot to mention.

I agree, but what I do, is open up the case, take it off, and set it outside for an afternoon and the smell is usually gone. Make sure you take apart the handset and remove the little cotton ball because that can capture a lot of smell.

Ben

Sargeguy

That's a shame about the smoke.  I have an un-attached garage that I leave smoky items in.  The fresh air helps
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

John S

I really thought the phone would have spiked high towards the end.  I was surprised when he sent me a invoice...

I have the phone in a bag with some "odor be gone" with a dryer sheet.  I was going to leave it outside, but it suppose to get in the teens.....I will clean it more tomorrow.  I never seen it this bad.  The smell gave me a headache.  Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Contempra

you're welcome John but remove the phone of his bag because the odor will stay Inside the phone. remove the housing too...my 1953 WE had this odor and I washed all the plastic and all is okay ;)

jsowers

The black coil cord was probably installed when this phone was new if the customer wanted a long handset cord, which was an option, but long cords were discouraged in the early years for whatever reason. Maybe the only long cord the installer had in the truck was black and so that's what they got. Cords didn't always match in all colors anyway during those years, but red did match by 1956.

Color 554s only came with coiled handset cords, according to the BSPs. Only black 554s had straight black cords early on, but by 1957 they all came with coil cords standard.

This phone looks original to 1956 all over. You got a great deal. A good wash will get the smoky smell out.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

I haven't had a bad smoke odor problem...yet, but if I do, my dad has an ozone machine laying around. That would kill the smell... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jfrutschy

Soaked one dawn for a couple day that smelled like smoke me out nice then used Novus plastic polish to enhance her beauty.   Nice find.  Can't wait to see her done

John