News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE/WE Hybrid ????

Started by Dan/Panther, October 02, 2008, 02:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

The following auction lists the A.E. Monophone as being made by W.E.
It's obviously AE, but the sellers claims that inside the handset, also obviously A.E., that it states, WE 4/47 ??
What's up, did W.E. make parts for A.E. ? Also did the Monophone come with a coiled handset cord ? All parts appear A.E.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 02, 2008, 02:13:25 PM
The following auction lists the A.E. Monophone as being made by W.E.
It's obviously AE, but the sellers claims that inside the handset, also obviously A.E., that it states, WE 4/47 ??
What's up, did W.E. make parts for A.E. ? Also did the Monophone come with a coiled handset cord ? All parts appear A.E.
D/P

I wonder if the seller is making reference to the transmitter or receiver component inside the handset. Could one of the W.E. parts could have been put into the AE handset?  ???

benhutcherson

The WE transmitter is a totally different design than that used on AE. I suppose with some soldering, and some cotton to keep things from rattling around, it would be possible to put a WE transmitter in an AE handset. It wouldn't be pretty, but might at least be functional.

A WE receiver would also fit, probably, but again would need some packing to keep it from moving. The AE receiver element is a good bit deeper, and has a lip around the edge that it sits on, rather than resting all the way back into the handset cavity as do WE receivers.

By the way, I have a 500 set which came with an AE cap on the receiver. I never have bothered to locate another one, although that's on the "to do" list for one of these days. Since the AE cap is considerably taller than the WE design, I had to stuff a bunch of cotton behind the receiver to keep it from moving. I don't think that transmitter caps would be interchangeable between the two, since AE telephones have a larger diameter transmitter than receiver.