News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My $9.95 Red Bar says..."How do you like me now?"

Started by Pourme, December 06, 2016, 11:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Following in the footsteps of Doug Rose's RCA metal Red Bar...

http://tinyurl.com/gskxrcw

After entering mine in the November FOM contest, it became obvious that my newly acquired RB had it's fair share of scratches and chipped paint, I decided "Why not?".

Original find post:  http://tinyurl.com/jzb2qrx

It turned out very nice. Much different than my stripped 302. The metal on the Kellogg phone has different characteristics in both the texture of the surface and the allow make up of the pot metal. These phones could still be painted by future collectors in their current condition.

The original cords are very dry and cracking. You may notice I added black heat shrink to the worn ends to reinforce them for now. New cords some day.

Special thanks to John 'TelePlay' for the suggestion of Renaissance Wax for the fingerprints on the metal & Jeff 'Ktownphoneco' for taking his time to help me with the number card and holder.

Overall thanks to this forum, ever ready to help the collectors and what all of you do for the preservation of these pieces of history!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

Wonder how one of those would accept cold bluing of the type used for firearm finishes? 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Ktownphoneco

Nice job Benny !!   I like the finish.    I know the black finish was pretty much the standard in telephones back in that era, but I'd be willing to bet that had the factory thought of polished bare metal as a finish, they probably would have tried marketing a few, just to gauge customer reaction.   Very nice indeed.

Jeff

Pourme

Quote from: 19and41 on December 06, 2016, 01:17:04 PM
Wonder how one of those would accept cold bluing of the type used for firearm finishes?

Good question. I have never applied one of those finishes. Maybe someone here has and would have a opinion. Trying to imagine how that would look!
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on December 06, 2016, 03:58:25 PM
Nice job Benny !!   I like the finish.    I know the black finish was pretty much the standard in telephones back in that era, but I'd be willing to bet that had the factory thought of polished bare metal as a finish, they probably would have tried marketing a few, just to gauge customer reaction.   Very nice indeed.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I really like how these Kelloggs look naked!
Benny

Doug Rose

Kidphone

dsk

Pourme

Thanks Doug & dsk....

This phone has some good lines, reminds me of a finely designed automobile....
Benny

Spanish_phones

Wow!  Great restoration!  I love the colour combination

Great job ;)