News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BEES!

Started by Greg G., July 15, 2012, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This was the weekend for them!  I spent around $320 on BEES!  First, I paid a pest control pro about $250 to get rid of a nest of Yellow Jackets that tried their annual invasion somewhere in this old house, this time the eave above the bathroom.  

Then I spent $40 + shipping and fees (total of about $70) for a nice Beehive phone.  This was my second choice, my first choice was a nice SC 1211, but it got over my budget.  I may have been able to swing it if it hadn't been for those darn Yellow Jackets!  (With apologies to those of you who went to Georgia Tech.)

I'm really, really, nervous about this thing being shipped all the way from MO.  I tried calling the auction company as soon as I won it, but apparently they're not open on Sundays, I only got a recording but left a message.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Do call them!

The lower Bakelite housing on the beehive phone is fragile, and the magneto inside is heavy.  It needs to be wrapped and packaged very, very well.

-Bill

-Bill G

twocvbloke

I don't envy you the task of clearing the wasps out of your house, we had that a few years ago with them setting up a nest above our bathroom in the old house, the council's pest control service wouldn't do anything (and charged us accordingly for not doing anything... ??? ), and we had to pay for a private company to get rid of them, which was a surprisingly easy process, they just sprayed some powdery stuff over the area, and inside the gaps where they were getting in, and they were all dead within an hour, and the powder also dissolved the nest too.... :D

The following year, the neighbour's garage had a nest form right by our back gate, and rather than bothering the neighbours with a problem on their property, I just sprayed the hell out of the entrance to the nest with fly  wasp spray, and they were gone within a day, I did it because of the proximity to our yard and because of the niece & nephew's safety, they're not that hard to deal with, you just have to do it when it's dark and they're roosting for the night, gets them all in one go.. ;D

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 15, 2012, 03:54:06 PM
Do call them!

The lower Bakelite housing on the beehive phone is fragile, and the magneto inside is heavy.  It needs to be wrapped and packaged very, very well.

-Bill

Can that lower housing be separated from the magneto easily for shipping?  Or at the least, can the upper and lower parts be separated?  I will definitely try calling them again tomorrow.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

The lower housing does separate, but I do not know exactly where the screws are.  The screw holes in the top housing are in the middle of the two sides.

I saw the 1211 on the proxibid auction today.  I won the AE3 in that auction.

Larry

Greg G.

Does anybody know for sure how to properly dismantle a Beehive?  I've got the auction company's number and email, I would like to pass along clear instructions on how to dismantle and prepare it for shipping.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 15, 2012, 04:32:10 PM

I saw the 1211 on the proxibid auction today.  I won the AE3 in that auction.

Larry

Which lot # was that?  Their descriptions weren't exactly clear, most just said the manufacturer name and "bakelite wall mount or desk phone".  I was watching 28 of them, pre-bid on 5 including the 1211 and Beehive, but let them all go to concentrate on the 1211.  I decided to bid on the Beehive again as I was watching, hoping the 1211 wouldn't get too high when it came up, but it did.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Look at my post: link.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 15, 2012, 06:14:56 PM

Larry

Oh, you got that "Fraken-phone" I was asking about (except it's not Franken'd):  Thread
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on July 16, 2012, 05:42:21 AM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 15, 2012, 06:14:56 PM

Larry

Oh, you got that "Fraken-phone" I was asking about (except it's not Franken'd):  Thread

I saw you post before and forgot about it.  My memory is not what it used to be.  At least, I think that it used to be better, but I don't remember.  At any rate, I did win that phone.  I am hoping that the shipping charge will be reasonable.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 16, 2012, 07:01:43 AM

I saw you post before and forgot about it.  My memory is not what it used to be.  At least, I think that it used to be better, but I don't remember.  At any rate, I did win that phone. 

Larry

What post?  Forgot about what?   ;)
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

This is the only reference I've found so far to dismantling the Beehive.  Only thing I can ascertain for certain is the crank handle would need to be detached from the magneto to get it off, but I imagine there's at least at least a coupe of screws involved too.  I'm assuming the crank handle comes off the same way my Leich 901c's did, by giving it a sharp yank counter-clockwise and unscrewing it.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

There must be at least a few wires to disconnect as well.  I think that it might be safer to not ask the auction people to disassemble the phone.  They might break it instead.  They should definitely be warned though to wrap the phone and handset separately and keep them far apart.  The magneto housing's worst enemy during shipment may be the handset if they are not kept apart.  Perhaps it would be best to drive to Missouri to pick it up :)

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 16, 2012, 12:55:42 PM
There must be at least a few wires to disconnect as well.  I think that it might be safer to not ask the auction people to disassemble the phone.  They might break it instead.  They should definitely be warned though to wrap the phone and handset separately and keep them far apart.  The magneto housing's worst enemy during shipment may be the handset if they are not kept apart.  Perhaps it would be best to drive to Missouri to pick it up :)

Larry

I just sent the shipper an email with the picture, but maybe I'll call him back and tell him to forget the disassemble.  He explained in detail their shipping methods and how he detests having to deal with time-consuming claims, consequently it was to his benefit to make sure items are packed carefully and arrive intact.  He was more than willing to give me his email to send him the picture and whatever info I have so far.  So, I'm feeling a little more at ease, but it's not over until I get the thing.
- Mike Row
e