News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My latest arrival: 1956 WE 500

Started by deedubya3800, October 04, 2010, 09:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

This was eBay item 180565436872. $7.99 plus shipping. I'd been wanting a mid-'50s 500 to go with my contemporary 302 and 5302 to complete a set of phone that I could use as a display to demonstrate the 5302's heritage and aspirations. :D

So I found this 500 last week. It needed some serious cleaning inside and out, and the handset cord needs reconditioning, but everything, including the feet, seem to be intact. The listing said the ringer wasn't working either, but that turned out to be wired to ground, just as I'd suspected. I can stand a good polishing, too, but that'll have to wait till I have time. All in all, not in bad shape. The dial spring needed to be wound a little tighter because it wasn't returning all the way, but that wasn't hard either. I'd never encountered that problem before.

I'll post some more when I have time to do more work on it. This is my first actual attempt at restoring something other than just minor adjustments.

LarryInMichigan

It looks nice.  The G1 handset appears to be in better condition than most.

Larry

KeithB

Darn it, deedubya, you beat my 1956 500 deal by $2.00!!  :'( :'( :'(

Congratulations on a GREAT purchase!  :)

Greg G.

Here's my black 56'r (February).  I was even able to use the phone number on the dial card when I had my POTS line put in.  (I've censored it due to lurkers).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Thanks, everybody! :) Everything inside the case is all-original, dates-matching 8-56. The cords and handset were replaced, likely in 63. No big deal. It's mainly about the suede feet and the painted metal fingerwheel to me anyway. :)

HarrySmith

Nice deal! As you know your earlier post inspired me to set up a similar display, except I chose a 500 with the soft center plastic fingerwheel to show progression from metal to plastic ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

That's quite all right. :) Megawatt kaw toast tier quack. Classic held November fat kelly writer is met duelling. I have to get a plug for it before I can use it, but I'm in no rush since I have plenty of phones to use right now: Nor Tel Dawn in the bedroom, 5302 in the office, and a 302 on the kitchen table. And as bad as I want a 354 in the kitchen, I'm not rushing that either. If I were rushing anything, it would be something in ivory, but again, those are a little heavy for the budget right now. :D Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

KeithB

??? methinks deedubya has been inhaling a little too much of the soft plastic  :D

HarrySmith

I thought it was my glasses so I ignored it ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

It looked like some of the Spam mail that I get so I put a blocker on it.

Kenny C

deedubya is your key board having a seizure
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Russ Kirk

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 05, 2010, 09:13:24 AM
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

My guess - and a quick verification on the internet is it is Latin.  But the translators didn't translate is smoothly.

I have a hard enough time getting my spelling correct with English!

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

KeithB

Quote from: Russkirk on October 05, 2010, 05:32:23 PM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 05, 2010, 09:13:24 AM
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

My guess - and a quick verification on the internet is it is Latin.  But the translators didn't translate is smoothly.

I have a hard enough time getting my spelling correct with English!

Russ
The first several words are usually used in typesetting examples as dummy text, intended to appear as Latin, but meaning nothing, really.

deedubya3800

I wanted to appear smart because ivory didn't have anything good to say. I also just wanted to mess with people early in the morning. Plus, I wasn't too awake myself. Plus plus, I wanted to try to hide the fact that ivory trying to channel my addiction. :P :D ;)

deedubya3800

My handset cord is wrapped, hung, and in the oven. I'm so excited! :)