"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice Western Electric D-2

Started by Sargeguy, October 21, 2010, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Found this sucker on eBay.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350403321554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The cord is a red flag but proved to be a red herring.  

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

That's a real nice find at a good price.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dennis Markham

Nice buy, Greg.  A #4 dial, E1 handset w/Bullet transmitter, Rural dial plate....Nice phone.

Sargeguy

Applying the Sargeant scale for unrestored desk sets, which grades 10 categories on a scale of 1-5 then divides the total by 5:

Handset: 4 (perfect but not seamless)
Elements: 5 (bullet transmitters suck but look really cool)
Cradle: 5 (Paint is 100%)
Body: 4 (some corrosion but paint is 97%)
Base: 4 (complete, no sticker residue, moderate wear)
Cordage: 4 (handset code perfect cloth, mounting cord is junk but had a sweet green 295A plug)
Dial 5 (Early model 4H dated III 31)
Fingerwheel: 3 (very little wear but some corrosion)
Faceplate: 3 (150a in perfect condition, metro would be 4, celluloid 5)
Insides: 5 (Very clean)

Toatal score 8.4 out of 10
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Is the mounting cord a light grey 500 style cord?  It might not be junk if it is.

Excellent score, Sarge.  I think you definitely got the bargain of the day there.
= DARRIN =

cchaven

Definately a nice score given the E-1 handset and 4H dial.  Does the bullet transmitter function?  Most seem to either be very weak or don't function at all.  My one example works, but is very faint.

Jeff

Sargeguy

It's not a 500 cord.  The bullet transmitter hasn't been tested yet, but I think they can be restored even if they are non-functional.

The plot thickens:

I have never had this style of #4H dial before.  How do you remove the dial plate?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

It pulls straight out.  Here's how:
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thanks.  Based upon the older style dial plate and the date I was sure that this must be a conversion from a #2.  It is actually a true #4 with no sign of drill holes whatsoever
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Nice find.

Is there anything different in the base to differentiate it from the more common D1?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Nope, it is a perfectly normal 202, albeit a very well-preserved specimen under the light layer of dust.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

good price(in my book)
I paid 100.00 for mine with the wrong dial and subset with frayed cords so thumbs up
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

If you notice the opening bid on that, it was me! I am not supposed to be buying phones so I did not chase it but I am glad you got it ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

The winning bid was also my maximum, so it was a close one.  The bullet transmitter is a complete dud, as expected.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

I'd be interested in the bullet transmitter if you want to trade for something...Doug
Kidphone