News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzby

Apologies if this has turned up before, but this is a sure-fire cure for phoneitis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOZO-PHONE-WORKS-/221968222043?hash=item33ae56475b:g:hdwAAOSw8-tWYOV3

Image saved below for posterity.

19and41

Well it is painfully obvious that good taste covers the earth.   :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

NorthernElectric

What are you supposed to do with that?  Talk into one giant clown foot and listen in the other?   ;D
Cliff

19and41

I remember seeing another Bozo phone here not too long ago and the feet were abit low for the positioning of the microphone.  :-[
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 18, 2015, 09:05:51 PM
I remember seeing another Bozo phone here not too long ago and the feet were abit low for the positioning of the microphone.  :-[

No buts about that . . .

19and41

Now, a nice Bozo laugh would be appropriate here.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

What "Bozo" designed that silly phone! They were probably just "clowning around" in the design studios that day......

(Somebody que the Rim Shot)

Terry

TelePlay

Seriously, how does one hold this phone when using it? The fattest part of the phone is between the receiver and transmitter, the place one would normally hold a handset. Does one hold it by the legs, which I doubt would be comfortable. Either way, isn't it strange to have the mounting cord sticking up toward the user's mouth when holding the phone for use?

I've never had one, much less seen one - I would guess from that most antique stores do have some standards in place.

Right now they are on eBay ranging in price from $5 to $125 plus shipping. They have recently sold for about $10. An empty box sold for $25 and a phone in original box with documentation sold for $40, not that anyone really care - just added for posterity.

Buzby

I've worked out what the trouble with tribbles is. Sometimes they decide to be phones.

Victorian-Desk-Phone-Push-Button-Pink
( dead link 05-21-21 )

What kind of person would give that houseroom???

Pic below for posterity.

19and41

That one should come with a bottle of claritin.  :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

paul-f

Brings back fond memories from my youth.

About the time that phone was probably made, the style and color were popular for feminine boudoir attire.

Of course, the effect was much more pleasing on a twenty-something female form.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: Buzby on December 27, 2015, 09:10:49 PM
I've worked out what the trouble with tribbles is. Sometimes they decide to be phones.

That one did not sell, the same fate as this one I would guess. Fluff plus more . . .

This one, in that line of fuzzy phones, comes with a rug. I've seem a lot of these tribble-type phones but I think this is the first one I've seen with the handset and base covered with fur. It may just be me but I don't think I'd want to use that phone given the prime breeding area for who knows what between calls after even one use. And how many uses would it take to mat that handset fur down to something that would look like 70's shag carpeting in 2016?

At $50, it should come with 2 bottles of Claritin.

RARE Faith Kinght Hollywood Princess Pink Phone Design Vintage Barbie Real Fur

EDIT: I was wrong, there are many such phones with the entire handset covered in fur.

Melanie W.

This one caught my eye today...why??  And ouch!  I have caught lobster off Marathon Key and know you don't want to hold a Spiny Lobster without a glove.  Renders this phone unfunctional so the "look" is the only thing going for it, and for $548!

http://r.ebay.com/5toylR

andre_janew

I don't think that's a real lobster.  I think it may be a plastic replica of one.  However,  it may just authentic enough to be as spiny as the real thing!

TelePlay

Quote from: Melanie W. on January 03, 2016, 10:29:21 AM
This one caught my eye today...why??  And ouch!  I have caught lobster off Marathon Key and know you don't want to hold a Spiny Lobster without a glove.  Renders this phone unfunctional so the "look" is the only thing going for it, and for $548!

That is the contemporary version of the Salvador Dali GPO Lobster phone that did garner big bucks just because it was a Dali. The design has been duplicated since then but this is the first I've seen on a contemporary phone, IIRC.

This Dali phone is "THE" phone that started this topic back in 2009. Just the link was posted so I added a screen capture to the first post today for posterity. The link still worked after 6 years, that itself is unusual.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1351.msg17210#msg17210

Most of the phones (not quite up to date) can be found in this 4 album gallery

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/CRPF/library/Hideous%20Phones