News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best way to ship wooden phones

Started by Gilas, March 19, 2014, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I have read multiple posts regarding the best way to wrap, box and ship rotary phones but have yet to see anything about shipping wood ones. Would anyone be able to give the beat way to do this for single and double box phones?  Seems like due to the size there is a lot more involved and if I ever did sell one of the ones that I picked up the last thing I want to do is a half ass job of getting it ready to go

What's the best way to box it?
What packing works best?
Who do you ship through?

Any help would be appreciated from the experts.

Thanks
Mike

poplar1

You might want to remove the crank, hook and transmitter arm before shipping.

On the single box phones, if the package is 24" x 24" x 24" the post office charges $63.04-$132.29, regardless of weight up to 70 lbs., depending on  the distance. If the same phone is in a box  24" x 21" x 21" and weighs 30 lbs., the cost to mail is $25.45-$49.35 depending on the distance . Not sure how they calculate this since the same table says "oversize" is L+H+W more than 108" and less than 130."

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#1152660

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

I agree with David that anything projecting should be removed or carefully protected using something rigid like a heavy cardboard tube held firmly in place.

Another consideration is the weight of the magneto.  If it gets loose, bad things will happen.  Make sure it's firmly attached and pack the area around it with FIRM padding, so it can't move - or remove it and wrap it separately.

Since wood phones are generally heavy, having a good crush zone around the phone is especially important -- especially at the corners.  Double boxing is helpful.  Make sure nothing can move when the box is dropped.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Best way to ship wooden phones - Au Natural!

They will never damage this one!  ;) A wooden phone kit!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001