"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for help with a 1969 Northern Electric 3 slot touch tone payphone

Started by rglenn, June 13, 2019, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

Ken
You probably already know this but just to be sure you have to unplug the front of the payphone from the lower section.
You should hear tones coming out of the handset of the phone you connected the pad to.
If you aren't getting tones the pad is shot.
Stan S.

Stan S

Ken
Just to make sure.
You do know that the rotary phone you're using must be plugged into a phone line
and you should get a dial tone when you take the handset off hook that you're connected to.
Then check for tones.
Stan S.

Key2871

Yes, of course otherwise your not going to get a real status.
In other words, no power no tones, or dial tone.
I was assuming that power was applied to the test phone as well as the pay station set.
You did do that, right Rich?
KEN

Stan S

rglenn

Thanks guys.  Yes the rotary phone had dial tone during the test.  I will run the test again ensuring the upper chassis is disconnected as I can't remember if it was during the first test.

Rick

Key2871

Usually you can't leave the upper connected to the lower housing. Because the cable won't reach.
But yea go ahead and rerun the test and get back with us here.
KEN

rglenn

Stan S

Rick
No!
The only phone that should be powered is the rotary phone you're connecting the payphone's front to.
The two connections from the rotary phone power the TT pad.

The tones from the pad (assuming there are any) are sent into the rotary phone from these same two points.

Stan S.

rglenn

Ok, then I did it right, and I have no tones.  Ken, looks like I could use that dial after all.

Key2871

Its ready and waiting, I'll shoot you a pm When it goes.
Good luck.
KEN

Key2871

I'm always willing to help museums, so glad to be part of it even in a small way.
KEN

Key2871

KEN