News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CLEARly an interesting telephone - 2500

Started by DARK FATHER, April 30, 2011, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARK FATHER

Here is my recent acquisition.  Now I finally have a push button phone other than the DecoTel box one!

Phonesrfun

The clear phones are definitely a collectors item.  Unfortunately, it will only lead to more of an addiction.  You know there are clear 500's. 302's, trimline's and others out there.  Your clerar 2500 will some day want some company.  I only have a clear 2500 like you, but some day I will likely have more.  Help me Dr. Phil, help, help!

-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Why are these so hard to find?  I do not consider them rare but they sure seem to be.  And what time period were the clear ones most prevalent within?

Jim Stettler

Some of the earliest clear phones are AE 34,  AE40, AE50 WE 302, SC 1212, SC 1193, THe squrae base leich.

The early stuff was made for display, they didn't make many of them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your's is probably a Cortelco with un marked plastic.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

GG

For a while you could buy clear plastics to swap out on 2500 sets.  For a while we used to give away clear 2500s with new PBX sales (presumably these ended up in the homes of people at the various client companies).  Needless to say I kept one.  Also have a clear 706. 

Also there were companies making clear Trimlines, typically using ITT/Cortelco parts.  Some of these have LEDs inside that light up when they ring. 

DARK FATHER

Jim S you hit the nail on the head, this is indeed a CORTELCO.  The sticker on the bottom confirms it.  So these were sales display models once?  That would explain how hard they are to find.  I am considering doing some alterations to this to make it more interesting.  Perhaps a caller ID display that is mounted on the inside and a flashing light also mounted inside.  When it rings the light will flash and the display will display right through the clear plastic.  I already removed the non-functioning ringer frm my red dial-less CORTELCO and replaced it with an electric ringer from a payphone.

Jim Stettler

The ITT cortelcos were avaliable as straight clear sets and as novelty clear sets. The novelty sets had painted innards.
Some of these were sales promotion sets.
Jim
You live, You learn,

DARK FATHER

Very curious that potential buyers would want to see the inside of a phone and not the nice colors that were available.

Dave F

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 30, 2011, 07:45:19 PM
The clear phones are definitely a collectors item.  Unfortunately, it will only lead to more of an addiction.  You know there are clear 500's.....
Here's my clear WE 500 (1958).

JorgeAmely

Dave:

Very nice. I wonder if a peroxide treatment would help clear the plastics a bit ...
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Dave,
That looks like a F-53115.
Mine is 6-58. Dial center "stamped"  (in red)  G
I sure admire your taste in telephones.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dave F

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 02, 2011, 11:27:02 PM
Dave:

Very nice. I wonder if a peroxide treatment would help clear the plastics a bit ...
Hi Jorge,

The yellowing of the plastic with age is part of the charm of clear WE phones.  I don't think I want to disturb it!

Dave
Quote from: Jim S. on May 03, 2011, 01:18:54 AM
Dave,
That looks like a F-53115.
Mine is 6-58. Dial center "stamped"  (in red)  G
I sure admire your taste in telephones.

Jim S.
Hi Jim,

Thank you, and yes it's a F-53115.  Not in the best condition, but hey, it's WE and it's clear!

Dave

DARK FATHER

That IS quite an impressve phone?  Where did you run across that?

Dave F

Quote from: DARK FATHER on May 03, 2011, 09:42:40 PM
That IS quite an impressve phone?  Where did you run across that?
That one came from eBay several years ago.

Here's another clear WE 500, this one from 1975.  Notice that a previous owner stuck some nonsense circuit boards inside the handset to make it look "cooler".   I have since removed them and I also have replaced the Mickey-Mouse handset cord with a clear coiled cord.

DF

Jim Stettler

Dave,
I remember that phone. I contacted you after the auction to get the skinny on that handset.
---------------
I have also seen clear WE 500's with colored dial and handset caps.
I think these were intended for use.---

Jim

The 1958 F# sets were used to promote the new colors of the 500.
The F# 500 is one of the on;y soft clear 500 sets you will find. (I used to have a soft plastic call waiting 500.
You live, You learn,