News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Gold Imperial

Started by wds, April 20, 2013, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Another phone I'm been wanting.  Prices seem to be all over the board on the gold Imperial, depending on the condition.  After I bought this one, I was upset with myself, as I was sure it was not going to be worth the trouble to try and restore it.  It turned out to just be a very dirty phone.  There was a grimey coat of something all over the phone.  Cleaned the bottom with Goof Off - carefully - and scrubbed the handset with a brillo pad, then polished it up with Novus.  Turned out just beautiful.  Not so confident about the cords, may have to replace those, but we'll see in a couple days how they turned out.  Couple of before pictures first.  Some dirt still in the seam on the handset.  Any suggestions for getting those seams clean?
Dave

Dennis Markham

Dave, the phone looks very nice.  You could try giving it a coat of peroxide and put it in the sun (the handset/caps) to brighten it up a bit.  Might clean out the crevices too.

As far as the cords, they do look very yellowed in the photo.  I have had good luck with cloth cords by soaking them in warm water with Woolite.  After they soak a while I use a nice, stiff bristled tooth brush to brush them...rinse with warm water and let them dry. 

You're right about the prices of those Gold and Silver Imperials.  I bought a gold one several years ago knowing it had some spotting of the base.  Even with the imperfection I think it was in the neighborhood of $75.  I've been waiting for a nice one to come along that wouldn't require me to spend fortune to get it.  Kind of a back burner thing but I'm always watching.  But the nice ones still bring $50-$100 or more---it seems like.

~Dennis

Mr. Bones

Quote from: wds on April 20, 2013, 08:24:19 PM
Any suggestions for getting those seams clean?

For just this sort of tiny nooks, crannies, and crevices, I find a discarded toothbrush to be favourite. One can even utilize one's toothpaste, as it most often contains a mild abrasive, and is entirely water-soluable.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

wds

Got it for $31 + shipping.  That brown grime isn't coming out of the cords.  May have to try something a little more potent than Woolite.  The handset cord has some wear, so if it doesn't come clean, or gets damaged in the cleaning process I'll just replace it. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....I was watching the auction and forgot about it. Great price! I use a 50/50 bleach and water solution on the Ivory thermoplastic and it works well. Just leave it in the soup until it is done. I would try the same with the cords if you feel they are not what you want. I have never done the cords with the 50/50, but I think its worth a try ....great phone....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The phone looks like it was tobacco stained.  Chlorine bleach often works well for bleaching dark stuff in grooves and cracks.

Larry

wds

Here it is with the cord.  The cord cleaned up nicer than I thought it would, but still pretty worn.  There's virtually no wear on the cradle with only a couple small specks of gold worn, so I wonder if critters chewed the cord while it sat in someones attic or basement.
Dave