News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Toaster project, anyone?

Started by TelePlay, July 13, 2014, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Just listed. Well, it's in rough shape but two things caught my eye.

First, the "strange" wiring diagram does not match the toasters I have, specifically the dial. Second, the TP-6A branding of the base is on a plate riveted to the back of the phone and not stamped into the bottom edge of the phone. The handset, if you can still call it that, has the proper branding.

Aside from all that, whomever used this phone certainly created a new definition to the term "line cord."

It's in terrible condition and who knows what's going on inside but is this a unique toaster, at least to me, given the wiring diagram and the branding plate?

Signal Corps Telephone TP-6-A Toaster Phone W/Cords attached 1948 Metal Cold War  ( link found dead on 5-21-2018 )

The seller accurately describes it as ""Missing handset part, dirty" and humorously with You are bidding on a black 1948 US Army Signal Corps marked 'toaster' style phone, TP-6-A, dated December 1948.  Practically complete, missing the earpiece from the handset.  Still dials and returns normally.   Has metal plate to rear SIGNAL CORPS US ARMY TELEPHONE TP-6-A CONN TEL & ELECTRIC DIVISION.   Also has bottom wiring diagram plate.   Has electric cord attached as well as phone cord.   I cleaned some of the storage crud off but could stand a good overall cleaning.   Will no doubt clean up very well.  Great old piece of cold war history for sure.

. . . no doubt, eh? Any thoughts on what this is/was?

And, it can be yours probably for the starting bid of $9.99 plus $23.42 shipping. It's on my watch list . . .

LarryInMichigan

The phone looks like toast to me ;)

Realistically, these are not so rare, and a decent one can be had for $20-$40 plus shipping.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 13, 2014, 07:47:21 PM
Realistically, these are not so rare, and a decent one can be had for $20-$40 plus shipping.

Have you ever seen either, or both of these markings? I have a few toasters, looked at many more but have never seen these two artifacts.

Wonder what would happen if that line cord were actually plugged into a 120 VAC line wall socket?

LarryInMichigan

My Conn. TP-6-A is missing the diagram on the bottom, and the information on that plate on the back is stamped into the shell.  I think that the difference is that mine is a 1951 model, and the one on ebay is a few years earlier.  I don't know if that adds anything to the value or not.

Larry

paul-f

John, 

I agree with Larry that the earlier sets had plaques, but they went to stamping to save costs.

I have a few photos on the hard drive showing them.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Thanks, Paul. Didn't know that. Now I do.

paul-f

It's still an open question as to whether there are enough TP6A collectors looking for all the variations to bid the prices up on the early sets.

Numerically, there are certainly many more of the later stamped sets.

Maybe if we all hold on to any early sets we find and talk them up, we can create a premium price market for them.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line