News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring question Western Electric 302B

Started by chamonix, July 27, 2014, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chamonix

I am trying to get the ringer to work in my new (to me) 302BW phone. F1 handset is marked Northern Electric. Rotary dial has PHILIPS made in Canada stamped on the inside.
Any way phone works fine for incoming calls, dialing out. But I can't get ringer to work. I just bought a new ringer set off E-bay, as old one was a bit grungy looking. New one has been tested ok (vendor says)

Can someone advise me on proper wiring for ringer? Picture shows red wire from ringer (marked with red arrow) and Black wire from ringer (green arrow). red/green wires from phone line are visible across ringer coils. yellow wire from phone line is attached to Gnd terminal (below green arrow). Black wire from phone line isn't connected to anything in phone.

Is my wiring for ringer correct? Any ideas to get this ringer to work for incoming call?

Kenton K

Welcome to the forum!
To fix the problem, just take the yellow wire that is on GN under the green arrow and screw it to L2 on the network coil.
That should fix it. Many old phones are wired this way (grounded ringing).

Ken.

chamonix

Ken,
Thanks for the quick reply. Won't that connect the yellow wire directly to the green wire, both from the phone line?

I reattached the yellow wire from the phone line here, (see yellow arrow). Is this right? Still no ringer for an incoming call. :-\

poplar1

The black ringer wire and the slate (gray) capacitor wire currently on K and GND need to be connected together on K. Your yellow line cord wire is not needed but can be placed by itself on GND.

Placing the green and yellow, or the red and yellow, line cord wires together is necessary only with the old type cords with spade tips on each end,  if you want to leave the set with original factory wiring (ringer wire on GND).  This is done at the wall.

Since it isn't possible to connect the individual wires together inside a molded modular plug at the wall, when using these it is necessary to move the ringer wire inside the phone or to run a short jumper wire  from  GND to L1 or L2 inside the phone. It's usually easier just to move the ringer wire.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

My bad, I think that the two wires on the small board should be connected at K. I read the picture wrong.

chamonix

Ok got it to work (Ringer)  :) :)

First I connected thin yellow wire from phone cord line directly to ground terminal.  Black wire from ringer (Blue arrow) was relocated from K to  Gnd terminal with original old slate  wire from capacitor below.
The red arrow shows where the three wires are now all on the Gnd terminal.
This second  picture of the inside of a 302BW helped a lot. I think  it was on Denis' old web site. In this second image, you can see the black wire from ringer coming in under the "bells" to connect to Gnd.

Kenton K

Awesome! Glad we could help you out.

Ken

chamonix

yes, Thanks everyone. Finding that wiring diagram on the Interweb was a great help too.

Through sheer serendipity I connected the three wires (slate from capacitor, black from ringer and yellow phone line) to the Gnd terminal , the same way poplar1 suggested, but on the Gnd terminal. I had it ringing, before I saw his post.

When I originally opened phone ($10 at a yard sale) black wire from ringer had been disconnected ; just loose in phone case.

Any ideas on how to clean up exterior of phone?

chamonix

Here is a picture after I have cleaned it up a bit . Ringer sounds great, I wish I could find a .wav file of that ringer for my cell phone.

Kenton K

I like to clean with soap and water first (toothbrush and rags). If there is sticky residue, (glue, oil, stickers, gum) I use coleman fuel (naphtha) or gasoline to remove it. I find it doesn't usually dissolve plastics, but always test first in an inconspicuous spot. I polish with novus or brasso. I clean sticky cords with general purpose degrease.

chamonix

Thanks Ken,
My phone has the plastic body  with a bakelite (?) handset, so I am a bit nervous about any chemicals..
Maybe some kind of polishing tool on my Dremel would clean up the rough handset..

Kenton K

I find that a dremel is WAY too fast for anything. it always melts/burns things. If you search the forum, we have topics on polishing bakelite.

Dan/Panther

Chamonix;
Welcome to the forum.
None of these diagrams helped you ?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson