and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldphonelover

maybe it well help can u post it? and thanks

Phonesrfun

Wiring diagrams for candlesticks are specific to the model numbers and the hookswitch pile-up configuration.  I think it would help greatly if you had a model number of the candlestick.  Western Electric sticks had the model number embossed on the back of the perch for instance 151 AL.

-Bill G

bingster

Very true.  Plus, the only cording diagrams I have are for the following sticks:

50AL
51AL
51CM
51C
51CL

From that list, I'd probably only bother with a colored cording diagram for the 51AL, which seems to be the most commonly found phone from that list.  I don't have any diagrams for anti-sidetone sticks (151AL, e.g], as my diagrams are from AT&T 4566-February, 1926, which predates anti-sidetone.

However, I'll gladly scan a black and white of any other phone from that list, if anybody needs one.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Being that I am at work at the moment, I can't break loose on a research project, but the TCI site has some cording diagrams on it.  We can check there.  Do we know yet which model oldphonelover has?

-Bill G

bingster

Not yet.  I think it would be a good project to embark on, anyway, though.  The 20AL, 40AL, 51AL and 151AL are frequently encountered, so I think doing those would be a help, regardless.  If we can find clear diagrams for the 20, 40 and 151 in the library, that is.
= DARRIN =

bingster

Quote from: RCMcDonald on October 22, 2011, 11:21:58 AM

Did I miss something?  The network in this phone is a 4228B.

Bob McDonald

Hi Bob,

I can't make out where the yellow wire in the mounting cord is terminating on the network.  Is it on an "L2" screw?  At first glance, everything else looks to be correct.
= DARRIN =

oldphonelover

Going to try to attach two pic's. I am not sure of the model and it looks like they have used different parts to create a candle phone [maybe] but here is a pic of the stem and a pic of the dial. The only wire layouts I find don't include that red contact? I think they upgraded the dial along the way. So here are the two pic's. if some one can tell me a wire layout I well cook you dinner [LOL]. I also have four wire cords I replaced from phone to ringer. I got the subset down and connected to wall... [ok going backward...LOL]. Thanks for all your help guys.

Oh I found the marking on the back that say's it is a 20al?

johnnyjt

Here is a 102 Dial that I d/l and colored...

It looks better now.

JohnnyJT  8)
South Philly

oliva7

I've wired my WE D1/202 to a 685/425B subset, but cannot tie the final black wire from the mounting cord to the D1 because my phone has a filter/ pulse suppressor (unsure of terminology) not shown on the diagrams.   So- where does the last wire go?  Also, on a slightly different tack, I have a 4 color line with a modular jack connected to the subset; are the black and yellow wires really superfluous.   Strangely out of focus photo attached, loose black wire draped across the center.

oldphonelover

Hello,

First I am very new at this so don't take the suggestions in stone...

Try this diagram and see if you at least get a dial tone and go from there. I would still join the wires as they should be even with that thing on there. See if it works?

you might check the wires on there as I think one the jumper on the left might be wrong "BK" here's a pic of the one I followed.

as for the jack I beleive your correct in the extra wires. You only need the two I beleive to get a tone at least it seems that way on modern lines.

Let me know if it works.

SMiles
Ron

oliva7

Tried your suggestion and on the test call(s) I could barely hear a thing, but the call went through and the other end could hear me just fine.  And the bells scared the cat- I haven't heard telephone bells in years.   ;DSo- thanks, but now I have something new to work on.

canuckphoneguy

Thanks for the excellent diagrams! I'm bookmarking this page for when I finally get one of these 102s or 202s (or both)  :P

dhilarious

I tried to wire my phone based on your diagram and it did not work.  basically, everything worked except the dial.  It had a dial tone, it would ring and receive calls, however when you turn the dial it just keeps a dial tone.  So I made a change and it worked.   I skipped the yellow line mounting cord wire and I jumped Y to BB.  I know your diagrams are correct but with my phone only this would work.  Any reasons why?

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

dhilarious

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 18, 2012, 07:26:17 PM
Which subset are you wiring this to?

Its a very small   subset/ringer.  Just a little longer than a deck of cards.  Its pretty cool.  I does say something like "bell systems property" and the sound is really great.