News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Thanks, Bill. I've since tested it on a 425 and a 4228 and I'm suitably impressed.  Nice work.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

For me, the drawing would have been the hard part.  Thank YOU!

-Bill G

Dan

My mounting cord (the one that goes from the phone to the subset) has been cut off. It is wired like your 202 picture (I have a D1 phone).. I have a nice three wired cord (green, yellow, red). Can I use this as the mounting cord in a antisidetone setup since it doesn't have the black cord that is mounted on the phone ?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Absolutely you can use it. It won't be antisidetone, though. With the three conductor cord it will be a 102 sidetone setup, even if you use an antisidetone subset. It's really not that big a deal, though. Give it a shot!
= DARRIN =

Dan

I'll try it to a 425A network and see what happens. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The 425A is a different animal than a 425B.  Using a 425A without the equalizer in the circuit, I can get it to work just fine with the 3 wire sidetone circuit using the same connection points as with the 425B.  Using the 4-wire antisidetone black wire, there is no equivalent convenient place to hook it, except to C.  Unfortunately, the one and only 425A network I have is in a good early phone.  It has the hookswitch wires soldered in place, and I can't easily test that assumption.  Perhaps later on when I have the time to do a little soldering.

You could leave black unconnected and go sidetone.  Using the equalizer on a non-500 phone is counter productive.

-Bill G

Dan

Thanks, I meant a 425B, my 425A is on my 1950 We500 and I certainly don't want to part this one out. Sorry for the typo.

Dan

Maybe someone can help me here. I wired it up to an old 425B subset out of a WE500. I took off the dial, handset and unhooked the hangup switch except the two soldered on connectors. I didn't want to cut them off unless I have to. ? (this may be my problem). I used a 3 connector cord from the phone to the subset. Per your diagrams , the mounting cord is wired  on the phone, red to red, yellow to yellow and green to green (102 style). (see picture 1).

The other end of the cord to the network is yellow to L2, green to G and red to red (see picture 2).

Wall cord to plug in the house  is green L1 and red L2 .

Picking up the phone I get no dial tone, whether the hangup switch from the WE500  is depressed or not.  Calling the "creation" results in a good ring, but when I pick up the F1 handset I hear pulsing noises made from the ringing.  ??? This is greek to me.

Phonesrfun

Make sure to put the jumper wire between L1 and RR
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

One other thing..... with the hard-wired soldered terminals on L2 and C, you will not be able to talk unless the hookswitch is unsoldered from at least one of these terminals or the hookswitch is in the down position.

Something I don't think we discussed before.
-Bill G

Dan

Thanks Bill, I'll put in the jumper and hold the switchhook down and see how it goes!

Phonesrfun

Don't forget to stand on one foot and rub your tummy and pat your head!  :)

-Bill G

Dan

I'll resume this tommorrow. Gotta go to a HS FB game! thanks Bill!

Dan

Finally resumed this. I used a 425B network. The phone rings true, dials out great, but the volume in the handset is darn near  imperceptible. It is very faint. I did use the jumper.

To eliminate the handset as the source of the problem, I hooked it up to a 634 B-A subset and it is much louder and works better.

Any ideas?
(Other than buying another subset?). :)

Phonesrfun

I had typed a reply that was to take the hookswitch wires off R and GN, but I see from your photo that you already did. 

When I get home from work tonight, I will look at your photos again and see if I can see anything wrong.

-Bill G