News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 WE 500 C/D static and crackling after speaking.

Started by bob833, November 16, 2019, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob833

Hi, I have a 1955 WE 500 C/D that has static and crackling in my receiver "only" after I start to speak and it seems to vary with the volume of my speaking.
If i speak loudly into the transmitter the static starts right away, if I speak quietly it seems to gradually get the noise.
I cleaned the network, hook and handset contacts with contact cleaner and re-tightened them, and still have the noise after I speak.
If i pick up and just listen to the person on the other side I hear no static.
I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem and is there a solution?
Any info would help, thanks in advance,Bob.

Key2871

Take the transmitter element out, using a hard surface tap it on edge turning as you do. To loosen carbon granules that should help.
KEN

Key2871

If it keeps up, you may want to replace it with a different one.
KEN

Jim Stettler

It sounds like tapping/rapping  was the fix for your problem.

Another common cause of static is bad cords. You can usually tell if the problem is cord related by wiggling the cord at the base and handset, if you get changes in static, it is the cord. Less often you can have a problem with the line cord, you can check it the same way as the handset cord.

On modular cords you can replace the mod end and that will usually fix it.
On hardwire cords, examine the exposed conductors, many times the exposed wires will get cracked insulation,
Some people have luck taping these or coating the conductors with things like liquid rubber or shellac/nail polish.
I have never tried coating the conductors, but liquid rubber seems like the better choice to me.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Number, please!

I think we forget sometimes how simple the receiver and microphones are in these century old phones.  An epiphany: "Oh yeah!  Carbon particles."   I've thrown away countless cheap mics, headphones, etc..  I have WE parts in my parts bin that, of course, still work! 
Stu