News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 troubleshooting

Started by Greg G., May 02, 2010, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Ok, now that I have my hord sorted out, I went back to a project I was in the middle of.  It just so happens to be another black AE 80.  I was going to partially reassemble it to trouble-shoot/test it, but I noticed the dial has a clicking noise when I rotate it, but not on the return.  Although that's desirable in a 4H dial, I don't think it is in an AE dial, none of the others have it.  Here's vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6piWC0ayU
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

My AE80 dial doesn't click.  Yours must be haunted :)

Larry

Phonesrfun

Older AE dials do click on wind-up, but not usually quite that loud.  The ratchet probably needs to be cleaned and lubed.  My old AE80 dial clicks on wind-up too, but like I say, not quite that loud.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

That is the way they are. Some are equipped with an anti-ratchet mechanism. Some don't. But I think this applies only to the Type 24 dial. Type 52 dials should not ratchet on wind up.
Jorge

stub

Brinybay,
             You will have to clean as Bill has suggested !  Go here and download .  Go to pg. 4 and the culprits are  20 , 21 , 22 .  No 21 , when stuck, will cause the clicking on wind up.  I can move my pawl lever all the way clockwise and it will make the clicking noise , but on the next wind up ,  it will be nice and quiet, when it floats, like a slip clutch .  If that won't fix it send it to me and I'll swap it just for the charge of postage to you.  I have several.  
              This is Remco's site.
                                                                                       stub
                        http://tinyurl.com/26wnzwf
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on May 03, 2010, 02:02:16 AM
Brinybay,
             You will have to clean as Bill has suggested !  Go here and download .  Go to pg. 4 and the culprits are  20 , 21 , 22 .  No 21 , when stuck, will cause the clicking on wind up.  I can move my pawl lever all the way clockwise and it will make the clicking noise , but on the next wind it will be nice and quiet, when it floats, like a slip clutch .  If that won't fix it send it to me and I'll swap it just for the charge of postage to you.  I have several.  
              This is Remco's site.
                                                                                       stub
                        http://tinyurl.com/26wnzwf

You mean I have to take it apart?  Ugh.  I would prefer a more high-tech approach like banging it on the work bench a couple times.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Ok, back to this thing.  I set aside the dial clicking problem because there were bigger fish to fry on this, for one, no dial tone.  Did a few experiments and discovered it was the receiver element.  Took one out of a parts phone, problem solved.

Everything functions except it won't ring.  It has a SL ringer in it, so it should ring, unless the ringer is bad.  I've double and triple checked the wiring, everything is where is should be as far as I can tell.  I went by this wiring diagram from the TCI library:  http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae80b.pdf
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Have you tested the ringer to see if it works?
Clip it to your phone line and test it. This test will tell you lots regarding your next step.{yes, phone problem, no bad ringer}

JMO,
Jik
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on May 08, 2010, 02:40:38 AM
Clip it to your phone line and test it. This test will tell you lots regarding your next step.{yes, phone problem, no bad ringer}

JMO,
Jik

I don't have a land line anymore, it's rigged to a PBX.  I "test" them by simply calling the extension.  If there's another way to check the ringer, you'll have to walk me through it.

BTW, the dial has the opposite problem now that I put the bezel back on and mounted it on the phone, that is it doesn't click on windup, but it does on the return.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on May 11, 2010, 12:49:23 AM

JMO,
Jim

I don't have a land line anymore, it's rigged to a PBX.  I "test" them by simply calling the extension.  If there's another way to check the ringer, you'll have to walk me through it.

Hook your ringer to a mod cord and plug it into the extension. Then dial the extension.  The other route is to plug a cord into the extetension and dial the extension and just touch the conductors to the ringer leads (with the ringer disconnected from your phone).

Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on May 11, 2010, 02:06:01 PM

JMO,
Jim

Hook your ringer to a mod cord and plug it into the extension. Then dial the extension.  The other route is to plug a cord into the extetension and dial the extension and just touch the conductors to the ringer leads (with the ringer disconnected from your phone).

Jim

Tried that, still no ring.  Tell me if I have the wiring correct. I just colored matched the ringer wires to a 4 terminal biscuit that had red, green, black, yellow, except that I hooked the white ringer wire to the yellow on the biscuit.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

Connect the ringer in series with the ringing capacitor across the tip and ring wires of any extension on your PBX. It should ring otherwise the ringer is bad or the capacitor is open. Try this with a known good ringer so you can verify your setup first. Your ringer needs to be a 20 Hz ringer for this to work.

In a Panasonic PBX, I believe black and yellow are control signals for their brand of programmable phones. They are not needed to test your AE80 ringer.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on May 11, 2010, 05:30:42 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on May 11, 2010, 02:06:01 PM

JMO,
Jim

Jim

Tried that, still no ring.  Tell me if I have the wiring correct. I just colored matched the ringer wires to a 4 terminal biscuit that had red, green, black, yellow, except that I hooked the white ringer wire to the yellow on the biscuit.
Basically you want the ringer across the tip and ring.You don't really need the cap. The cap is to block the DC Talk Battery.

I sugest making your biscuit into a test lead.

Attach a  cord to it and clips on the other end. Since you have a 616 you need a handy test cord.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Jim:

I believe you need the capacitor, otherwise, the PBX "thinks" the line is off hook. I can test this tonight with my 616 to confirm.

PS: I checked the above circuit with a telephone line simulator. I was wrong. The ringer has about 4000 ohms of impedance, so not enough current flows to trip the central office into sending you the dial tone, however, I saw a small spark when I disconnected the ringer, thus indicating that DC current is flowing into the ringer, which is not good, since it can demagnetize the ringer. I also shorted the capacitor while the ringer was ringing and all of a sudden, only one gong is struck by the clapper, indicating the presence of DC in the ringing current.

Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 11, 2010, 07:02:42 PM
Jim:

I believe you need the capacitor, otherwise, the PBX "thinks" the line is off hook. I can test this tonight with my 616 to confirm.

PS: I checked the above circuit with a telephone line simulator. I was wrong. The ringer has about 4000 ohms of impedance, so not enough current flows to trip the central office into sending you the dial tone, however, I saw a small spark when I disconnected the ringer, thus indicating that DC current is flowing into the ringer, which is not good, since it can demagnetize the ringer. I also shorted the capacitor while the ringer was ringing and all of a sudden, only one gong is struck by the clapper, indicating the presence of DC in the ringing current.

Jorge,
Good Point
That could be true with a 616.

With a regular Telco line it doesn't matter. 

I am reluctant to hook up my 616. Once I do I think think the next 2 weeks would get occupied w/play. I have too many warm weather projects to allow my self to get distracted with a "new" toy right now.

Jim
You live, You learn,