News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pitfalls in cleaning a 4H dial?

Started by Bill, November 23, 2010, 12:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I just bought a nice 4H dial on eBay. Although it looks very good, and seems to operate properly, it also seems to be kinda gummy, and returns a bit slowly. In the end, I will probably send it to Cliff in Glendale (just down the road). But since I am reasonably handy, and like to know how things work, I thought I might take a stab at it myself. My intent would be to do a total disassembly, not just a dunk-n-dry. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? Is it easier or harder than the #7 dial cleaning described elsewhere on this forum?

Thanks

Bill

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

Whatever you do, don't stab it :D  I am a bit lazy (and clumsy with mechanical things), so I rarely totally disassemble dials.  I usually spray large amounts of electrical contact cleaner into them and shake them over a sink.  The cleaner dissolves much or most of the grease and grime, and I am usually left with a functioning dial.  I often drop tiny amounts of oil into the various pivots.  If you are more adventurous, you can take a look at Jorge's album about a #5 dial overhaul (http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#).  The #4 dial is very similar to the #5.

Larry

Russ Kirk

Does anybody recall what solution to use for cleaning.  I recall something about NOT using WD40 or oils, but use regular high volatile contact cleaning solution that does NOT leave any residue. Correct?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Correct, electronic parts cleaner or automotive brake cleaner work fine.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Jorge's album is very good for showing you the associated parts and the procedure for taking the dial apart and putting it together again.  You may find a few things that are different from the #4 dial.  Thinking from memory though, the differences are nothing that should prohibit you from being successful with your tear down and reassembly.

The thing that I learned the hard way by simply taking one apart the first time was the two small "thrust" washers.  That term was one I got from the dial master, Steve Hilsz.  The very tiny thrust washers are on each axle of the governor.   Sometimes after reassembly things don't always mesh as good as they once did.  There may need to be some tweaking of the copper brace that seat the axle gears.  That term (copper brace) is mine and not Steve's.

I like to use a non-lubricating radio contact cleaner to clean old gummy gunk off dials.  I go to Radio Shack for the cleaner.  It's about $10 for a small can so use it sparingly.  I then point oil the axle points using a non-detergent fine oil.

Although this (below link) is a 7D dial repair, axle points are axle points.  You can see what I'm talking about in this posting.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0

Greg G.

Quote from: Russkirk on November 23, 2010, 01:08:30 PM
Does anybody recall what solution to use for cleaning.  I recall something about NOT using WD40 or oils, but use regular high volatile contact cleaning solution that does NOT leave any residue. Correct?

I use this stuff:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I went back and looked through my e-mail exchange with Steve Hilsz where I asked him about what to use to free up the gummy condition caused by old lubrication.  Here was his response:

Any degreaser such as that used to clean electrical contacts will take the "gunk" off. Don't use anything that leaves lubrication behind, though. Radio Shack may have some type of spray solvent.

I used to use Trichloroethane, but I switched to a product that was actually meant to free items from molds and it works quite well.

What we used to call "tuner and contact cleaner" is your best set.

I highlighted the lubrication part.  He didn't identify his latest product.  Maybe a trade secret. 

Briny, your product says it is a lubricant.

Bill

Fortunately, being an old radio guy, I have a can of both. The 4H dial sounds do-able. After the holiday crush is over and everyone has gone home, I'll see what I can do with it. Many thanks to all - and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill

Sargeguy

On most #4 and 5 dials I use the electrical cleaner from Lowe's, some compressed air to remove the loosened gunk, and Singer sewing machine oil to lubricate.  I don't take them apart unless they don't work.  I do the same with #6s but you need to remove a few more pieces.  I hate #6 dials. :o
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

QuoteI hate #6 dials.
Blasphemy. I love cleaning them.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 23, 2010, 12:47:41 PM
Bill,

Whatever you do, don't stab it :D  I am a bit lazy (and clumsy with mechanical things), so I rarely totally disassemble dials.  I usually spray large amounts of electrical contact cleaner into them and shake them over a sink.  The cleaner dissolves much or most of the grease and grime, and I am usually left with a functioning dial.  I often drop tiny amounts of oil into the various pivots.  If you are more adventurous, you can take a look at Jorge's album about a #5 dial overhaul (http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#).  The #4 dial is very similar to the #5.

Larry

Larry:

I take the dial apart and clean it with whatever laundry soap I have at hand. Lately I have been using Oxyclean and a small toothbrush. Then I put all the small parts in a jar with warm water to rinse the dial (shaken, not stirred  ;) ). I follow that with a rinse in alcohol and dry it with compressed air. My oil of choice is 3-in-1.
Jorge