News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ultimate Frankenphone 1956 Model 500 Bluetooth Conversion

Started by zaphod01, October 11, 2015, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

Pictures below show the 1956 Model 500 I had converted to Bluetooth. It was already pretty much a Frankenphone when I got it. 1956 base with nice original feet. Network was dated 1962. Notched white body added by the rebuilding plant.

I sent it to a fellow in Washington state for conversion to Bluetooth. Only visible change is the port for the charger located on the back. He will build them with the charger connection through a 505 4-pin plug for non-notched bodies.

Blue button on the base is the on-off switch. Black button near the volume wheel is the pairing switch. Setup was a breeze. I had it sync'ed to my cell in a couple of minutes.

Press the power button and it beeps twice. Beeps twice again when it sync's to my cell. You get a dial tone from a phone that's not attached to anything! The original bell in the 500 rings on incoming calls. You can define 9 speed dial numbers.

Put my cell phone on silent so it doesn't ring. In this manner I can carry around the 500 as my cell so long as my cell is within Bluetooth range.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

Very interesting. Care to tell us what the conversion cost?

zaphod01

$98.00 plus postage. I now have the coolest cell phone I've seen in some time.

paul-f

Quote from: zaphod01 on October 11, 2015, 02:43:15 PM
The original bell in the 500 rings on incoming calls.

Nicely done, Robert.

How many rings do you get on a battery charge?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

zaphod01

Looks like there are several batteries under the dial. I haven't used it enough to run down the initial charge. He had to remove the front dial mount in order to get the batteries to fit.

Southernphoneman

zaphod01

PM me and I'll send you his contact info. I confirmed the price of $98 plus shipping on 500 and 2500 conversions. Really nice guy. Warranties his work. He also has some in stock. Very professional conversion. He also has some YouTube demos. Search for 'Western Electric Bluetooth'.