"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turquoise AE 80

Started by Greg G., February 21, 2010, 10:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 23, 2010, 11:52:21 AM
That particular dial from AE was very ubiquitous and the only type of number "card" that it was designed for is just a stick-on label.  Unfortunate, but true.

-Bill Geurts

Are these the ones you're talking about?  http://tinyurl.com/yhxdmr5
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I have a bunch of clear plastic AE finger wheels like that (with the screw hole in the middle), if anyone needs one.

Larry

Wallphone

I'm not familiar with the AE 80 (I don't own one YET).
But here is a template if you ever need to trim out a number card for an AE 90.
The important areas are at the 1, 7, and 10 O'clock positions of the card.
The other little tidbit's are just chad.
Dougpav

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on February 23, 2010, 03:18:20 PM

Interesting question Greg.  I have only seen the official versions that GTE had at the time these phones were in service.  Looks like Phoneco has created a stick-on mylar coated "retro" version.  I have never seen one of theirs, but if it is a retro reproduction, that would be a good thing, except that the retro design with the old style dial center design did not exist for the plastic screw-hole-in-the-center finger wheel we are talking about.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 23, 2010, 03:56:39 PM

Interesting question Greg.  I have only seen the official versions that GTE had at the time these phones were in service.  Looks like Phoneco has created a stick-on mylar coated "retro" version.  I have never seen one of theirs, but if it is a retro reproduction, that would be a good thing, except that the retro design with the old style dial center design did not exist for the plastic screw-hole-in-the-center finger wheel we are talking about.

-Bill

I think I'll probably make it easy on myself and go with theirs.  If this wasn't a refurbished phone and in a more pristine shape (AE logo obliterated) I would be more fussy about originality.  It'll be a definite improvement over a bare screw head.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

You might want to buy some standard white round labels and print whatever dial center you want on them.

Greg G.

And then there's this type of AE dial.  I forgot all about my $2.99 Goodwill AE 80.  Put it on the bench and checked it out.  Everything's fine except it too, has a frequency ringer.  I'm not going to give it an Oxyclean bath because it's not that bad, just some stickers and some smudges that should be relatively easy to remove.

The beige dial is from an AE 90 I've been using for parts.  The dial card will make a good template.  Looks like they just had a blank carboard backing with a sticker that had the phone number on it.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 23, 2010, 04:41:53 PM
You might want to buy some standard white round labels and print whatever dial center you want on them.

I've tried printing dial cards before, but my printer doesn't print with the type of resolution needed and I can't adjust it.  It's an older HP Deskjet 5650 that I've had for 6 years now.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 23, 2010, 03:56:39 PM

-Bill

That's ok, lacking anything else, it looks better than a bare screw.  Of course, if I ever had to take the finger wheel off, I would have to destroy the sticker, but I have several now.  It's the same self-adhesive type of sticker as postage stamps.  

On a side note, Phoneco's shipping costs are only estimates (I didn't see that in the fine print).  I was initially aghast that I was getting charged almost twice the cost of the stickers for shipping and handling when I did the online checkout, especially since they arrived in a regular business sized envelope.  Not to worry, the invoice enclosed showed I was only charged $1.72 for shipping.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Brinybay:

Are you sure your white AE80 has a frequency ringer? It looks straight from here.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

They look real nice!

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Craig T

That was a nice finishing touch Briny, looks great!

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 27, 2010, 12:21:00 PM
Brinybay:

Are you sure your white AE80 has a frequency ringer? It looks straight from here.

No, I'm not sure, now that you mention it.  It doesn't ring for incoming calls (doesn't even move) and didn't say SL on it, so I assumed it was a frequency ringer.  It has two wires coming off it, a red and a green.  The green one goes to the far right terminal in front, and the red one goes to the second from left terminal.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Brinybay:

That is indeed the right part number for a straight line ringer. Do you want to sell it to me?  ;D ;)

All joking aside, it doesn't ring because it has a 426A gas tube inside. Kind of rare since it is the first one I have ever seen with a tube inside. May need to rewire it correctly (either with or without the tube) to get it to work again.

PS: I don't see a ringing capacitor inside. I haven't tried this before, but I think it is possible to use the tube as a capacitor because when the tube is off, the ringer is isolated from the line, which is the job of the capacitor in a normal phone.

PPS: Could you please take a picture from the right hand side of the phone so we all can see the tube bracket and connections? I think it will be a good learning experience for many of us.

If you are interested in seeing how the tube works, take a look at an album I put together a couple of years ago about this tube and how it is used in a telephone.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric501PhoneWithA426ATube#

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Looks like all you will need to do is either disconnect, or pull the cold cathode tube out entirely and put in a .5 MF capacitor.  .47MF is more readily available and electrically equivalent.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G