News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

slow "5h" 302 dial

Started by Bustercat, June 22, 2010, 12:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustercat

The dial is slow, and it sounds like slows down as it spins back. It wont break the dial tone unless I help it along with my finger to speed it up.

I searched but cant find any full instructions on how to fix the problem.

1. Where is the "adjustment screw" to speed it up?
2. What parts do I clean/oil?
3. How do I take it apart?

JorgeAmely

Here you go sir. Alternatively, Steve Hilsz from AZ, will do it for you for $6 plus shipping.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#

Jorge

Bustercat

Thank you sir!

But which is the speed screw? The brass one on the governor? Or do I have to take the whole thing apart?

JorgeAmely

You don't have to take it apart to adjust the governor screw. You can do it from the back of the dial. Like you said, it is the brass screw on the governor. Good luck and let us know your results. Just compare the return time with a good dial when dialing a zero on both at the same time.

Jorge

dencins

Quote from: Bustercat on June 22, 2010, 12:13:25 AM
The dial is slow, and it sounds like slows down as it spins back. It wont break the dial tone unless I help it along with my finger to speed it up.

I searched but cant find any full instructions on how to fix the problem.

1. Where is the "adjustment screw" to speed it up?
2. What parts do I clean/oil?
3. How do I take it apart?

The BSP for adjusting 2,4,5 and 6 dials is here

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/DocumentLibrary/BSPs/028Division/028-300-701.pdf

Page 14 describes how to adjust the speed on a #5 dial.  The clamping screw allows you turn turn the governor but I would first check for other possible problems.

If the return is slow it suggests cleaning may solve the problem.  Cleaning can be done without taking the dial completely apart.  I remove the fingerwheel, number plate and paper gasket then put the dial in an ulltrasonic jewelry cleaner.  When done I use an air compressor to blow it dry.

Dennis

Bustercat

Thanks, Dennis. Loosening the brass screw and playing with the grey metal speed arm did the trick. It now perfectly matches my 500s. I guess I lucked out and got it on the first try by setting as fast as It could go. At first I thought, "this isn't any faster, it must be gummed up!"
but when I put it together to call it a night, I timed it by pulling the dial from zero on another phone at the same time. Scared the heck out of my fiancee with my surprise.
Nice, because out of the box, it was about 2 seconds slower (!)than normal and couldn't break the dialtone.

As I dig deeper I am more amazed at how they made these things do what they do with such simple engineering. These old phones are real treasures.

AE_Collector

Like your new Avatar, Bustercat!

Terry